FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Minehonk Lake near Mt. Vernon?  (Read 2441 times)

taxid

Minehonk Lake near Mt. Vernon?
« on: Apr 07, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Staying in a cottage on Minehonk near Mt. Vernon in June for a few days. Bringing the kayak with the mini-downrigger and fish finder.  I wanted a quiet small lake (100 acres) where I can fish in my kayak and just hang out, or use it as home base for day trips.

I picked this lake because it small and is supposed to be quiet. Also a deep coldwater pond which interested me more than large or shallow lakes. I get enough of large noisy lakes here in Indiana, and the sound of PWC''s and powerboats racing up and down a lake all day is not my idea of a vacation.

I found the following, although it appears dated:

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/lake-survey-maps/kennebec/minnehonk_lake.pdf

Not asking how to fish it, but wonder if the above is still pretty accurate on the species, or there are some changes?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TightLinesMaine

Re: Minehonk Lake near Mt. Vernon?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2019, 09:58 AM »
no landlocks or browns to my knowledge, but definitely still splake (it gets stocked every year with splake and brook trout)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Some real nice white perch in there.  As  far as salmonids go, you could catch almost any species......they don't seem to stay where they are stocked :laugh:

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2019, 11:22 AM »
no landlocks or browns to my knowledge, but definitely still splake (it gets stocked every year with splake and brook trout)

Thanks. I did read that some browns may come in via other lakes?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Some real nice white perch in there.  As  far as salmonids go, you could catch almost any species......they don't seem to stay where they are stocked :laugh:

Sounds good! Thank you for your response.

BigCort

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2019, 02:42 PM »
You should like this Pond very few boats there a few browns and salmon that drop down from Flying In June the most fun is to fish for LM & SM bass the lake is full of them and the bite should be hot in June

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Thank you all for your responses!

franklin fisher

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2019, 06:26 PM »
 I don't fish it but as others have said the list of species is accurate. Splake and Brook Trout are more common but the Salmon and Brown Trout that I know of that have been caught there were nice ones. With a kayak you might want to try Flying Pond just up the road. It has some islands which make it popular for kayaking around and it has some good fishing also. Very good bass fishing. Taylor is also a very small pond with excelent bass fishing.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2019, 09:48 PM »
I don't fish it but as others have said the list of species is accurate. Splake and Brook Trout are more common but the Salmon and Brown Trout that I know of that have been caught there were nice ones. With a kayak you might want to try Flying Pond just up the road. It has some islands which make it popular for kayaking around and it has some good fishing also. Very good bass fishing. Taylor is also a very small pond with excelent bass fishing.

Thanks!

Strange thing: listing can no longer be found but we have a confirmation. It's like the owner pulled the listing right after we confirmed.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Thanks!

Strange thing: listing can no longer be found but we have a confirmation. It's like the owner pulled the listing right after we confirmed.

No issues. Renter got back to us. Listing was supposed to be offline for the winter. Renter didn't realize it was back on. Is off line now to reset and block out dates etc.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2019, 04:14 PM »
I ice fish it a lot. It is slow sometimes but there are some quality fish in there. You never know what you’re going to catch. Lots of opportunities to fish in that area. Echo, Taylor, flying....all worth a try.

seamonkey84

« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2019, 03:12 PM »
Enjoy your trip here in Maine! I always enjoy reading about your ponds and the fish you produce.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2019, 05:59 PM »
I ice fish it a lot. It is slow sometimes but there are some quality fish in there. You never know what you’re going to catch. Lots of opportunities to fish in that area. Echo, Taylor, flying....all worth a try.

I actually prefer a lake that is slow vs. quantity. I prefer a challenge. And apparently it'a quite clear with a clarity of 20 feet? Not tannin stained?

And yeah I'll be there 9 days so when not out somewhere with the wife can pop the kayak into several lakes. Or hit it early every morning and then go wherever the wife wants to go during the day. I'm really blessed to have my wife as she is perfectly content to hang out at the cottage playing on the computer or just chilling if I go fishing. 

I have a Hobe that I mounted a mini downrigger and rod holder to and I purchased a second transducer for my Humminbird Helix 7 so I can take the big fisfinder off my larger boat and put it on the Hobe. My hands are free too as I have the foot pedals.

The downrigger and rod holder mounted on the kayak:

A look at the propulsion system:

And the entire Hobe Kayak:

Btw I could never afford the Hobe at full price, but this was an old floor model so I got it for half price. Had to drive to Cinncinatti to pick it up as I wasn't going to pay the $800.00 shipping charge!

I want to add another anchor to the stern if I am in a still body of water with no wind issues to stay stationary. And the seat sucks as it's an older model so I want to figure out how to add a rigid seat that is more upright.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Enjoy your trip here in Maine! I always enjoy reading about your ponds and the fish you produce.

Thank you. Maine never disappoints and so far all the people I have met there are awesome!

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2019, 03:15 AM »
I actually prefer a lake that is slow vs. quantity. I prefer a challenge. And apparently it'a quite clear with a clarity of 20 feet? Not tannin stained?

And yeah I'll be there 9 days so when not out somewhere with the wife can pop the kayak into several lakes. Or it hit it early every morning and then go wherever the wife wants to go during the day. I'm really blessed to have my wife as she is perfectly content to hang out at the cottage playing on the computer or just chilling if I go fishing. 

I have a Hobe that I mounted a mini downrigger and rod holder to and I purchased a second transducer for my Humminbird Helix 7 so I can take the big fisfinder off my larger boat and put it on the Hobe. My hands are free too as I have the foot pedals.

The downrigger and rod holder mounted on the kayak:

A look at the propulsion system:

And the entire Hobe Kayak:

Btw I could never afford the Hobe at full price, but this was an old floor model so I got it for half price. Had to drive to Cinncinatti to pick it up as I wasn't going to pay the $800.00 shipping charge!

I want to add another anchor to the stern if I am in a still body of water with no wind issues to stay stationary. And the seat sucks as it's an older model so I want to figure out how to add a rigid seat that is more upright.
the water there is very clean and clear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.