FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Season Opener  (Read 1339 times)

bogtrotter

Season Opener
« on: Apr 07, 2019, 02:55 PM »
Yesterday, I was ice fishing for the last time in the 2018/2019 season.

Today, for a change of pace,I took my younger son fishing,and made my first semi-serious foray on a "big" trout stream (i.e., a river as opposed to a brook) for 2019.

Including driving time, I was out from about 10 AM to 2 PM. Gorgeous day - - sunny, blue skies, temps in the mid 60's.

I had read the DFW stocked the East Branch of the Westfield in Cummington, so we tried that (near where the Swift River enters it). Water was cold, high and fast, with no sigh of any fish.

We drove to Pitttsfield and tried the NW Housatonic (along Wahcohah Street) next, both above and below the dam.

No action below the dam, and no hits above it, but we did see some big carp swimming around there. So we'll definitely be back.

(Tried last year and only briefly hooked one - - without a doubt they are the toughest fish that I've ever tried to catch).

The friendly neighborhood hobo (who camps along the river there) recommended using "crab fish" for bait. Never heard of that one - - but will definitely have to look it up.

Drove northward to home. Stopped at Cheshire Lake and took a couple casts both below the little dam where the South Branch of the Hoosic starts (nada), the impoundment just above it (ditto) and the southern end of 1st Lake itself - - where I finally struck lightning, and reeled in a crayfish that simply refused to let go of my line.

Dropped my son at home and headed off to the Greylock Glen in Adams, where I tried my "fall back" brook and landed two brookies (4" and 8").

Also picked up a nickel treasure discarded by the can fairies who kindly strew the landscape with their largesse.

Then headed for home and a well deserved late lunch (the leftovers from my ice fishing expedition from yesterday).

maxma

Re: Season Opener
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Very nice day to open the soft water season! Way to go Jim!

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Nice way to start it off.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2019, 11:52 AM »
I had similar results fishing several spots on the west branch.  I hooked one in Middlefield that shook my size 18 fly before I could land it.  I didn't move another fish on either Saturday or Sunday granted my time was somewhat limited both days.  There were a ton of black stoneflies hatching but any attempt at imitating them didn't see to get the trout feeding.  IMO the water temps had them pretty sluggish even with the warm air temps.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Way to get out Jim. Farmington is firing up. 

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Way to get out Jim. Farmington is firing up. 

Ooh, nice brown!  It looks like the Farmington is about a month ahead the streams in my neck of the woods.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2019, 02:00 PM »
Its starting to wake up for sure.   Ive been sticking to some relatively slow flyfishing knowing the spinning rod would be more effective.  Hatches are starting though.  Ill be after the trout tomorrow-Sunday.

rangerboats391

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2019, 12:18 PM »
always a good story, thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.