FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Blue Gill Limits  (Read 3656 times)

aarogod

Blue Gill Limits
« on: Apr 10, 2019, 04:44 PM »
So i've always been against a limit on the number of gills you are allowed per day.  That is until a "buddy" of my dad's brought in 125, then 215 bluegills over the last 2 days.  Many of these were 7" at best.

What a bleeping joke.  Mike Hug you are the reason the law needs to be changed

tater140

Re: Blue Gill Limits
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2019, 06:57 PM »
I agree it needs changed.  A guy I know bragged about catching 1500 out of one lake until the fishing was not as good....and then started fishing in my county :'(  Not that their my fish, but I would prefer he not take that many out of my favorite lake.  I don't know why folks can't be happy with a decent catch of around 25 per person.  It's plenty if you fish a little bit throughout the year. 

RoeBoat

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2019, 07:00 PM »
All for limits but most likely wouldn't slow the guys you're talking about down!

tater140

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2019, 07:05 PM »
All for limits but most likely wouldn't slow the guys you're talking about down!
Unfortunately I think your right.  I try and do my best to change others thoughts about keeping so many fish or even the big ones.  I try and throw back some big ones when I can.  Some days the bite is kind of slow and you want to keep a few fish... Other times the bite is on fire and that's when I feel it's good to turn some of those big hogs loose and keep the eaters.  Either way i try and act like i've been there before.

Spooled85

« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2019, 12:26 PM »
I gave up worrying and being mad about this along time ago. I don't do it my self nor do my friends . No one can change it complaining about it. You just got to enjoy being out and get after it while you can !

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2019, 12:40 PM »
I agree it needs changed.  A guy I know bragged about catching 1500 out of one lake until the fishing was not as good....and then started fishing in my county :'(  Not that their my fish, but I would prefer he not take that many out of my favorite lake.  I don't know why folks can't be happy with a decent catch of around 25 per person.  It's plenty if you fish a little bit throughout the year. 
Wow, 1500 is a lot of fish. Is that how many he kept or caught that many and only kept some?

tater140

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2019, 12:43 PM »
As I understood him... He and a couple of friends kept that many one spring out of the same lake.  Then after the fishing declined after a couple of years of doing that their now onto a different lake.  All bed fishing I believe.  Which to me doesn't take a great amount of skill

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2019, 12:49 PM »
Wow, that's ridiculous. Not much skill to catch them like that. People like that need to be shot.

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2019, 03:16 PM »
So i've always been against a limit on the number of gills you are allowed per day.  That is until a "buddy" of my dad's brought in 125, then 215 bluegills over the last 2 days.  Many of these were 7" at best.

What a bleeping joke.  Mike Hug you are the reason the law needs to be changed
[/quot

what? you didn't know that happened?  that's common place to have 100 gills in a boat.  I know some people that do it all summer long at hogback lake.  and there are several others that do it there too. that doesn't bother me because they are so prolific.  it just keeps giving up sacks of fish year after year.  I do think we should have a spring bed season ban though.

I have no problem with keeping or how they catch fish. If they could get that many eaters in two days I'd guess that body of water won't effected at all. In fact it may actually help. What does bother me is when the fish are wasted. Rot in the bucket or just freezer burn to the point can't be used.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2019, 03:31 PM »
I have no problem with keeping or how they catch fish. If they could get that many eaters in two days I'd guess that body of water won't effected at all. In fact it may actually help. What does bother me is when the fish are wasted. Rot in the bucket or just freezer burn to the point can't be used.
I agree, we keep a couple meals of fish in the freezer. I hate seeing fish wasted, because of size or not being edible cause they sat too long in the freezer.

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2019, 04:31 PM »
......I hate seeing fish wasted, because of size or not being edible cause they sat too long in the freezer.

Fish Chowder

billappy

« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2019, 07:32 PM »
I agree with some sort of limit on panfish. I chase crappies all year and during the ice fishing season i see many anglers catching, and keeping, more than their limit. I feel 25 specs is a reasonable amount of fish to keep but apparently there are some who just need to catch more.
When i was much younger i remember seeing many “Old-Timers” simply throwing dinks out on the ice to “ weed out” the small ones. It always irritated me as i always figured those dinks could eventually become keepers.
I’m certainly not trying to zero in on ice fishing only but it was always much easier to see what was going on at that time of year.
So, back to limits. Perhaps do what Michigan does.... a 25 combined panfish limit. And i would not be against some sort of slot limit, to keep the breeders in the water.
In closing, no matter what does, or does not, get done must be monitored by the DNR. The last time i was checked was 2001 and i am out a lot. There needs to be a larger enforcement presence on the water(or ice) to let anglers know that the State is watching.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Wow, that's a long time to not get checked. I was checked every weekend on one lake this summer, didn't get checked any this winter.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2019, 07:59 PM »
What really gets me is you will find many of these fish hogs are too lazy to clean all those fish and give them away to people that don't buy fishing licenses. Had a lazy brother-in-law that would just dump them in a chest freezer and my sister would have to throw them out as they would pretty much freeze dry. All for bragging rights.

Thank God the SOB is not my bother-in-law anymore. And add to that it was Boy Scout camp lake he was overfishing. Took the dumb **** fishing once and I watched the anchor keep going because he didn't bother to tie it off.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

billappy

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2019, 08:09 PM »
I agree thats a long time and that was on a large popular lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.