FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayak fishing  (Read 1663 times)

Johnnh

Kayak fishing
« on: Apr 11, 2019, 03:25 AM »
I am planning on buying a new sit on top fishing kayak this spring. I have researched all of the manufacturers, gone to boat shows,  did demos and I have now come to decission time.

My top 2 are both peddle drive from Old Town.

The Predator PDL is 13 feet and checks all the boxes with stability, features and performance

The second choice is the Topwater PDL  and this one has most of the features. At 10 feet my concern is will this limit use to smaller bodies of water.

I certainly don't plan on being that guy in a kayak out on the Broads on a warm Sunday afternoon.
I plan to fish lakes up to 300 or so acres and some trips to places like Lee's mills, Squam, Conway,  erc.

If any of my fellow fisherman on this board has an option on which one to choose, I welcome your input

Thanks
John

fishcaptain1

Re: Kayak fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2019, 04:43 AM »
They are both good options the only thing about the predator it is heavy. My friend has one and every time we go we both have to carry it. I just bought a new peddle kayak from mako it is nice dry and stable and only weighs 70 pounds

But if I was you and do not mind the weight the predator is the way to go

1bassboat

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2019, 08:43 AM »
I've got the Predator MK, I think that's the same hull...13'-4"?. It's super-stable, but a tank. Don't buy a cheap cart! I really dislike the molded-in carry handles, I put some old T-style ones on looped cord for dragging/hauling. The rudder up/down operator is barely usable... wonder if they've updated that since. The rear storage situation on the PDL should be much better than mine for sure (it's quite a reach over the battery to the crate area).

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2019, 10:42 AM »
I got a used Hobie pedal style last year and it's a little heavy especially with all the gear and batteries, however, it moves well over ground with a cart I made myself.

Initially I made the mistake of building the cart where it straps on vs. pops into the scupper holes. Strap on was a flop. Too much weight. But popping the cart PVC ends into the scupper holes works like a charm. Got rid of the rest of the cart. I just set the kayak sideways to slide them in out out.

Here's the cart I built:

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Johnnh

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2019, 05:09 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.
I ordered a Predator PDL
Adding a bed extender (my Silverado is a short bed)
I plan on building my own wheel kit to fit into scuppers

Should be on the water next week
John

burgerunh

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2019, 09:04 AM »
I have the Predator 13 paddle version of the PDL.  Pretty much the same hull.

I really like the kayak.  I am a large man and it is plenty stable for me.

I don't have a bed extender on my short bed chevy extended cab.  I just throw it in the back with the tailgate down and I ratchet strap it through the side handles to the loops in the bed.  Works fine for me!  Never had an issue.

Like others have said its a little heavy but a very comfortable yak.  I went from being able to go out for 1.5 - 2 hours on my old sit on top to being able to get out for much longer trips now. 

I overcome the weight by launching at places where I can back the truck down to the water.  Then I slide the yak out of the bed into the water.

Johnnh

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2019, 03:52 AM »
X2
I always launch at the ramp or as close as possible.
If there is no ramp, that's when the wheels come in handy

I always have everything ready before backing down the ramp.
Ramp etiquette

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2019, 11:42 AM »
X2
I always launch at the ramp or as close as possible.
If there is no ramp, that's when the wheels come in handy

I always have everything ready before backing down the ramp.
Ramp etiquette

That's for sure! I can't believe the people that don't do that and hold everyone up!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.