FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring Pike  (Read 2106 times)

fishcrazy

Spring Pike
« on: Apr 15, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Anyone have a suggestion for some pike action in Indiana? I usually fish them up north so any help would be great. SW Michigan is close to me also. PM if you care to share. I would only catch and release and I only have 2 friends so won’t blab.

Spooled85

Re: Spring Pike
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2019, 06:11 PM »
I know the kank can hold some hogs ! Alot of guys float creek chubs under a big bobber or small balloon. Under bridges current changes Eddie's and where Creeks or other rivers meet the kank or even small ditches . Those all give the blue gills places to get out of the current and if you know a spot where the gills are in the rivers I'll bet there is a pike somewhere close ! I've even had them grab gills quite a few times while reeling one in on the kank

fishcrazy

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Thanks. I will give it a try on the bayous . Spring Kankakee River has always intimidated me with its swift waters

Spooled85

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2019, 08:25 PM »
U bet , good luck

Ice_Mike

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2019, 10:26 AM »
We tried the Kankakee last Saturday. My son and I did a little casting but didn’t catch anything.
My main goal was to break in my new jet outboard motor.
We went from 49 to English lake and the a few miles up the yellow river.

abishop

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Mike, glad u got out. Haven't heard from you in a while.

Ice_Mike

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2019, 10:35 AM »
I’m still around Al.
Just put a new mercury 60/40 jet motor on my boat.
Most of my fishing/bowfishing has been on the Kankakee, Wabash and Tippy.
They all can eat lower units😜

fishcrazy

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2019, 10:38 AM »
Better luck next time Mike. Congrats on the new jet   What brand did you get?   I will be at church Sunday on the river I’ll let you know the outcome. I will be in the slack stuff with my electric

fishcrazy

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Oh a new mercury. Awesome

fishcrazy

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Oh a new mercury. Awesome

fishinator

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Jet motor is the way to go for rivers. If it's not breaking the surface you won't hit it. Only issue I ever had was leaves in the fall. When the river is covered you can't go far without stopping to clean the intake.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2019, 11:38 AM »
Oliver Lake in Lagrange county is a sleeper for huge pike that feed on the trout. I mounted one that was 45 inches plus and just under 26 pounds from there and it was a summer fish (not a female full of eggs). The angler that caught the fish has since passed, but would target them and has caught several big ones in the Oliver Lake Chain. A good place right now would be the weedy area near the public access near the Channel, and the break off of the public access. Also the weedy area on the other end of the lake before you get into Olin. If someone caught a new state record in there it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

And of course Clear in Steuben County has a big population of pike and produced the state record. Other lakes are  Dallas, Hackenberg, and Messick lakes in Lagrange county. Use Spinnerbaits with some kind of leader material. They should be hungry now post spawn.

Snow Lake in Steuben County has plenty of big pike too.

I'm hearing Hamilton in Steuben has lots of smaller pike.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishcrazy

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Sounds like a few I have never fished. Thanks for the advice I will fish them with love and make sure I clean up after the pigs at the launch. I know it bothers you as much as it does me :)

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Sounds like a few I have never fished. Thanks for the advice I will fish them with love and make sure I clean up after the pigs at the launch. I know it bothers you as much as it does me :)

I may not even fish Oliver this year. The trout program is really disappointing as it's geared toward put and take. I'll be fishing for splake, brook trout, salmon and browns in Maine in a couple of months.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2019, 08:09 PM »
Used to love fishing Sabago, (Indian name meaning deep water) If memory serves me 260 feet shallow. GREAT FISHERY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.