FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling Plates  (Read 4781 times)

JoeGG

Trolling Plates
« on: Apr 17, 2019, 11:35 AM »
My boat gets down to 1.6 on a good day. I have a trolling plate. Before I start punching screws into my motor’s  shaft, does anyone have any experience with these? Any idea how much I could get down to from 1.6 mph?

Mac Attack

Re: Trolling Plates
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Use a kicker
Trolling plates suk
Control stinks and you violate the lower unit warranty by drilling holes into it.
Also other pluses and minuses.

TheCrittaC

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Troll a 5 gallon bucket

JoeGG

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Yes, I know about the buckets and it’s only a 15hp Honda. Just curious if they’re any good. Thanks

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2019, 12:23 PM »
I'd get a different prop before strapping a trolling plate to the bottom end...

ScotNH

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Have you looked into getting a prop with a flatter pitch?

gamefisher

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2019, 01:46 PM »
You are going to get a wide variety of opinions on this but my ez steer trolling plate on a 90 hp works great, way better than bags.  For a 15hp I'd just use a couple of buckets, work fine and can make elcheapo.  Do a search, you'll find some pics on here.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2019, 01:56 PM »
If you are down to 1.6, it doesn't seem like you have much work to do. A flatter pitch prop would do the job for sure.

Roccus

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2019, 02:25 PM »
I'd get a different prop before strapping a trolling plate to the bottom end...

that's my solution ( different prop), I've used trolling plates, and meh, not the best answer,ive done buckets, again meh.. I have a sea anchor that is a great tool.... different prop works well, pop  in and out of gear on occasion, to vary speeds, it's better on the engine as well, a small kicker is the best solution, but honestly never had an issue with my 115 trolling for salmon,if  I need to a crawl I use the electric..

Roccus

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2019, 02:25 PM »
If you are down to 1.6, it doesn't seem like you have much work to do. A flatter pitch prop would do the job for sure.

I agree, that's pretty slow

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2019, 03:11 PM »
that's my solution ( different prop), I've used trolling plates, and meh, not the best answer,ive done buckets, again meh.. I have a sea anchor that is a great tool.... different prop works well, pop  in and out of gear on occasion, to vary speeds, it's better on the engine as well, a small kicker is the best solution, but honestly never had an issue with my 115 trolling for salmon,if  I need to a crawl I use the electric..

Yup, 2 minutes to swap a prop (also a good time to make sure the lower unit isn't about to eat 20 yards of mono). I've got 3 for my bassboat, 1 is an all around performer and close to stock, 1 is for when i'm camping and need bottom end to get a way overloaded boat up on plane, and the last is for getting stupid with an empty boat.
Also I'm assuming that an aluminum prop for a 15hp is cheaper than a trolling plate... Wish that were the case with vented stainless stilettos lol

PDubs/NH

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2019, 03:31 PM »
I have a spring loaded EZ troller on my 18ft Crestliner with a 70hp OB and love it. I got a tip (maybe here) and added a notch at 45deg and that helps retain boat control... but my opinion is that at <2mph how hard is it to control a boat in the first place... I did buckets/driftsock for a few years.. IMO trolling plate is far superior

skinnywater

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2019, 06:38 AM »
Sea Anchors are great.  That is what I use.  If you want to do controlled drifts with live bait a must have.
greenshack on shanty

JoeGG

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Thanks guys.

ScotNH

« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2019, 03:25 AM »
I have a spring loaded EZ troller on my 18ft Crestliner with a 70hp OB and love it. I got a tip (maybe here) and added a notch at 45deg and that helps retain boat control... but my opinion is that at <2mph how hard is it to control a boat in the first place... I did buckets/driftsock for a few years.. IMO trolling plate is far superior

How slow does the EZ troller take you down to? Any special procedures for going in reverse?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.