FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ND walleye record broken  (Read 13793 times)

taxid

Re: ND walleye record broken
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Ironic farther west in Idaho they are considered trash fish.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Ironic farther west in Idaho they are considered trash fish.
Where in Idaho.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Where in Idaho.

Was told that by a taxidermist in Bonner's Ferry. He said the locals think they look like sqawfish and throw them up on the bank.

Not the case?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2019, 10:25 AM »
Was told that by a taxidermist in Bonner's Ferry. He said the locals think they look like sqawfish and throw them up on the bank.

Not the case?

Not around here, people spend a lot of time trying to catch them. They figure next state record will come from reservoir right down the road.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2019, 03:38 PM »

Actually I did a little research and found that there are walleye in the northern part of the state in a couple rivers and a lake. I'm guessing that the fact that there is no limit on them there they are trying to eradicate them from those places. Since they have no limit they are treated as nongame fish and can be wasted as you mentioned. I'm sure they only want the fishery as trout/salmon only. Sad to see a great tasting fish wasted like that. I saw the same thing with pike in Nevada at one reservoir they didn't want them in, lots of fish thrown on the bank.

RuralMT

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Check out the emerging walleye fishery in Coeur D'Alene.  You're right cuznalfy, they're working their way down the Clark Fork drainage via Noxon into the Idaho panhandle.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2019, 03:28 PM »
Apparently there's a very healthy population in lake pend oreille.

RuralMT

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2019, 04:02 PM »
My mistake, the Clark feeds Pend Oreille, not Couer D'Alene.  They're in CDA as well though.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Yea, I remember seeing that too in some of the things I've read. They've deemed them as trash fish in that part of the state.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 02:02 PM »
Wicked Wec

filetandrelease

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 04:09 PM »
I was told there is a video on FB hard water freaks showing it was fouled

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 04:21 PM »
That sucks

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 06:14 AM »
why does it suck?  the guy is a cheat.  rules are rules.

Pretty strong talk unless you know the guy. If he was out "snagging" walleyes then he's a "cheat". If he was out fishing and happened to foul-hook it, he is not a cheat. What would any of us do if we were lucky enough to bring a walleye like that into the boat? I would be happy just to see one like that next to the boat....h2l

taxid

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Pretty strong talk unless you know the guy. If he was out "snagging" walleyes then he's a "cheat". If he was out fishing and happened to foul-hook it, he is not a cheat. What would any of us do if we were lucky enough to bring a walleye like that into the boat? I would be happy just to see one like that next to the boat....h2l

I agree. Any of us that have fished long enough have accidentally fouled hooked fish. OTOH I would hope we would have the conviction not to enter the fish as a record, but it would be tough.

Over here in Ohio when the walleye run up the Maumee River from Lake Erie it's not hard to do it accidentally. Sadly I know of a guy that pulled one in and was in the process of removing the hook and got dinged for foul hooking. It's a kangaroo court over here and generates a lot of money. All the C.O,'s there drive spanking new SUV's. I wonder where that money comes from? Rumor has it they have a quota. I had run in with one of them that runs another business (illegal for him). He's what I call a dirty cop.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.