FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What antennae to use for vhf radio?  (Read 1443 times)

gigpig

What antennae to use for vhf radio?
« on: Mar 23, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Looking at buying a vhf radio for my boat. The radios are confusing enough with all the options and lingo. There are tons of antennae choices out there , type, style, height. The radios( antennae ) work line of sight so is a 3 foot antennae practical? My boat is a 17' deep v, looking to fish lake ontario. Want radio as safety & communication measure. I also am the type of person that likes to buy from the local guy that can educate me on something like this. I own a couple of trucks and my cb radios are purchased as " matched" sets. Please help! ???

Ice Dawg

Re: What antennae to use for vhf radio?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2007, 06:59 PM »
If you will be fishing Ontario, get the tallest antenna you can. Some guys have and extension and the VHF antenna is fastened to the top of it to get more range. The taller the antenna, the farther the range.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

unreel

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2007, 07:39 PM »
I don't think there is  a matched set with vhf.   What you want to do though is buy a higher quality (price) antenna and mount.  It's been my experience the cheapys only last a year or so. I understand that the pricier units have a heavier gauge copper wire inside and a better quality fiberglass on the outside  and a stainless base to give you years of service.  Avoid tying flags to your antenna they only crack the fiberglass and shorten the life.  I also went to the heavier stainless mounts... the cheap plastic and chrome plated white metal crack with beatings they can take on  Lake Ontario.  Follow the mounting instructions and your good to go. Oh yea  I found if you run the wires on opposite side as the fish finder less chance of picking up the transducer pulse.

good luck

gigpig

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2007, 08:50 PM »
Thanks for the input, looks like I'll go for a higher priced 8' antenna with a good mounting bracket. The tip on the wires is also a good one, wouldn't of thought about that until I was wondering what that noise was! Thanks for the info ;D

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2007, 01:41 PM »
Looking at buying a vhf radio for my boat. The radios are confusing enough with all the options and lingo. There are tons of antennae choices out there , type, style, height. The radios( antennae ) work line of sight so is a 3 foot antennae practical? My boat is a 17' deep v, looking to fish lake ontario. Want radio as safety & communication measure. I also am the type of person that likes to buy from the local guy that can educate me on something like this. I own a couple of trucks and my cb radios are purchased as " matched" sets. Please help! ???

Capt. travis tells ya everything you need to know in this thread................http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=9966.0

gigpig

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:48 PM »
Thanks for posting that Buddah. I guess I better get the wallet out & get this ordered! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.