FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I need pictures of brown and rainbow trout with their anal fins extended  (Read 3641 times)

taxid

Allegedly a brown trout male and possibly rainbows as small as 4 inches have an anal fin that is convex as in like this ) on the outside edge. And allegedly a female brown has an anal fin that is concave, and more or less like this on the outside edge of the anal fin ( (See photo below).

https://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing/2-ways-to-determine-the-sex-of-a-trout/

Prefer to see fish that are obvious males and females to verify the anal fin differences.

So far all pictures I've seen seem to verify the above.

And yes I know a mature brown trout or rainbow trout is easy to tell from a female due to the kype and coloration during spawning, but immature and small fish may not be so easy.

Here's one source that alleges this and I have a article form a biologist in McClane's Fishing Encyclopedia that says the same under the heading of Brown trout.

As a fish culturist, if this is really true, it would help me out a lot as I can sort the males from the females early on to save on feed costs and increase the number of males in the pond. My taxidermy and replica market is primarily male fish.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fish Farmer

Interesting..never heard that one. I'll try and get some pics, we are going to be sorting browns soon for summer spawn.

taxid

Thanks! I thinned mine out but can't get them to set still long enough to get a look at their little fins. Browns are in the 5 inch range and rainbows in the 6 inch range. I have some MS-222 but afraid to overdo it and kill them.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

This what you are looking for?

taxid

This what you are looking for?

Yes!

Is that a male or female in your opinion? It appears to be a female to me, which would make her an exception to the rule as her anal fin looks convex.

Do you agree? I don't see a kype.

OTOH upon closer examination the anal fin seems convex toward the bottom rear edge but concave at the top of the rear edge?  Maybe swings both ways?  :rotflol:

taxid

Hope this 1 is visible

Thanks for the picture but your hand is over the anal fin.   :rotflol:

Fish Farmer

Thanks! I thinned mine out but can't get them to set still long enough to get a look at their little fins. Browns are in the 5 inch range and rainbows in the 6 inch range. I have some MS-222 but afraid to overdo it and kill them.

Have you tried clove oil for knocking them out? They don't seem to get too sleepy. It think the mix is 1 part clove oil to 8 parts ethanol, but I think we've used straight clove oil before.

taxid

I have used clove oil to euthanize them for harvest to the taxidermy market but prefer the MS222. Seems to take a lot to work for me with my water chemistry.

lowaccord66

Beats me Cecil?!  I can tell you when I stuck that pig...we went for a ride!

zwiggles

How’s about this one. Looks to be a male to me:

taxid

Beats me Cecil?!  I can tell you when I stuck that pig...we went for a ride!

:rotflol:

seamonkey84

This was a female for sure

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

How’s about this one. Looks to be a male to me:

Definitely a male with that kype going. Fin looks neither concave or convex to me. What do you think?

taxid

This was a female for sure

Yep. Fin does look concave like it's supposed to.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
I think you have us on a goose chase Cecil!
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.