FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Now that's a brown trout!  (Read 4045 times)

taxid

Re: Now that's a brown trout!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2019, 01:43 PM »
I found the database for fish planted in the state of Wisconsin. Unless I missed it there are only two rivers that flow into lake Michigan that are were planted with browns in 2018. Not sure if there will be a planting this year or it's later in the year? Unlike Michigan the month planted is not given. All you have to do is click the county.

I clicked all the counties on the east side of the state that could have tributaries or rivers that flow into Lake Michigan as the browns in the lake do run up the tributaries and rivers to spawn especially the Seeforellens. The Seeforellens which originally came from large lakes in Bavaria, Germany that live in the lakes and come up the streams and rivers to spawn just like the Great Lakes.

Here is the database:

https://infotrek.er.usgs.gov/doc/wdnr_biology/Public_Stocking/StateMapHotspotsAllYears.htm?fbclid=IwAR2t7Wr91S4ubVqyZAwWWQTITcO3EKnGSOKOUIF49AEPnR2y6vF1JRNG0VA

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2019, 01:57 PM »
So you think these big mature males don't silver up like the other smaller browns?

I was referring to them catching them “only in the spring”. I don’t think they go out deep to find them in the summer.

For the coloration, you got me. I have always assumed it had more to do with what they eat or the water color, but you would know better than I.

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2019, 02:06 PM »
I was referring to them catching them “only in the spring”. I don’t think they go out deep to find them in the summer.

For the coloration, you got me. I have always assumed it had more to do with what they eat or the water color, but you would know better than I.

It does have to do with what they eat and water color, however out here in the Great Lakes in the spring the browns tend to be silvery like the following one and they don't start getting color until late summer into fall.

The first picture I posted looked like a fall spawning male to me. But like I said maybe once they get to certain age and size they don't silver up anymore? 

Hopefully someone can chime in that has more experience than I do, especially our Lake Ontario anglers.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2019, 03:35 PM »
Wow those are all some very nice fish. Bigger than anything I’ve ever personally seen.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

zwiggles

« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2019, 06:11 PM »
It does have to do with what they eat and water color, however out here in the Great Lakes in the spring the browns tend to be silvery like the following one and they don't start getting color until late summer into fall.

The first picture I posted looked like a fall spawning male to me. But like I said maybe once they get to certain age and size they don't silver up anymore? 

Hopefully someone can chime in that has more experience than I do, especially our Lake Ontario anglers.

Ok I follow you now. I would agree with your assumption. There’s a few guys on YouTube including haatja who put up some silly videos of massive trout from the GL harbors. All the videos I have seen of big male browns in that class, and I can’t recall any looking like a “fresh” silver fish.

That being said all the videos are either ice fishing or trolling in the harbors and not out on the main lake. I would surmise that all the ones around shore are trying to get their groove on, hence the colors on the big males? Maybe the ones that are out in the big part of the lake and of similar size don’t have their “colors” on?

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Jul 26, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Could be. I really don't know. I do know all the trout in my flow trough pond including the brook trout are silvery until fall during spawning time.

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Jul 26, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Zwiggles I wonder if those huge brown stay inshore all year and dine on gobies? The water doesn't get exceptionally warm does it? My trout pond gets into the upper 60's F when we get a heat wave, and it doesn't bother the browns at all. In fact the brook trout can handle it too as long as it's a gradual increase and there is enough D.O.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2019, 08:21 AM »
I do not do much trolling at all, nor do I fish the big lakes but if I pulled that last fish out I for sure would think salmon and not Brown trout.
Wicked Wec

deerhunter

« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2019, 08:33 AM »
no that's a lake Ontario brown

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2019, 09:45 AM »
Pat you dont have to go that far for monsters.  This one colored up nicely.  15lbs.  I missed one that day that was larger, probably around 19.

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Zwiggles I wonder if those huge brown stay inshore all year and dine on gobies? The water doesn't get exceptionally warm does it? My trout pond gets into the upper 60's F when we get a heat wave, and it doesn't bother the browns at all. In fact the brook trout can handle it too as long as it's a gradual increase and there is enough D.O.

For the Ontario browns it depends on upwelling cold water.  Super hard to predict.  The are in very close in the early fall then shoot up the tributaries.

filetandrelease

« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2019, 10:37 AM »
 Here are some Ontario browns from yesterday  , some nicely colored

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.