FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: boat winterization  (Read 1702 times)

abishop

boat winterization
« on: Oct 15, 2022, 10:47 AM »
Just wondering if everyone here winterizes their boat for the winter. There has been years that I haven't. Heard different things regarding this. I heard that if you have a smaller horsepower outboard that it isn't as important than say an inboard. Know you want to get all the water out of the lower unit then protect with lube. Just trying to determine if I will get it done this winter. I have a new boat and didn't do it last season???? What do you think?

Mac Attack

Re: boat winterization
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2022, 12:37 PM »
Why would you roll the dice on a new rig?  Or even an old one.
Especially if you can do the work yourself.

Stabilize the fuel in the tank and run the motor(s) until that stabilized fuel is in and used in the motor.

Pull the spark plugs and spray the cylinders with a little silicone spray.  Not tons, only a little to coat the walls of each cylinder.  Then turn over the motor to spread the silicone before replacing the plugs.

Change the crankcase oil and filter if it’s a 4st.  Change all fuel filters too.

Then drain and refill the lower unit with new gear lube.  Pull the prop and inspect things - fishing line, lube leaking past the prop shaft seal, etc.  Replace the prop.

Outboards drain the cooling water so no need to flush with pink antifreeze.  I/O’s need flushing - thoroughly!!  Block, hoses, water pump, lower unit, and exhaust riser(s).  I/O’s have a lot of drain plugs.  Locate every single one of them!!  I used to flush with pink stuff, run the motor for 10-15 seconds without the cups, and EE flush with pink stuff a second time.  A cracked block will ruin next summer for sure.

Don’t forget the batteries.  Top them off with distilled water and charge them up to 100%.  Then disconnect the ground wires (to avoid sparks).  I used to simply leave them on the boat till spring.  Some pull them.  Some put them in the basement.  Some put them on a maintenance charge.  YMMV.  But NEVER leave them on a cheap trickle charger.  They don’t shut down when the battery is fully charged.  They just keep shoving current (heat) into the battery and will eventually warp the plates and they short out and the battery becomes toast.  Use a float style maintenance charger!!!

Spend an afternoon.
Cheap insurance.

Or pay your dealer to do it.

But do it.

Good luck.

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2022, 01:22 PM »
Thanks

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2022, 03:59 PM »
Yeah….park in the side yard…cover it up and pull it out in the spring. It’ll be ready then.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2022, 04:16 PM »
 Change oil and lower unit , seafoam gas and run through , I charge batteries once week , and put motor home antifreeze in the pumps , and grease fittings

fishinator

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2022, 05:48 PM »
At a minimum stabil and make sure no water is in the lower unit, they crack easy.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2022, 08:42 AM »
Al,
Ask ten guys you'll get 5 different answers?
I have always winterized mine. I know guys that park them in back yard and don't touch them???? Had a 1987  35 Merc that I always winterized and never had a problem. I now have a 30 HP Evinrude E-Tech and it is so easy. Put 3 oz of Evinrude additive in full gas tank. Hook up water bra. Start engine. Run it for 30 seconds, pull up choke lever, run it for 30 seconds, repeat until it chokes itself out. Let her drain out. Done! I pull prop and check for line and put on a little grease. Grease motor where zerts are. Pull her in garage! Every other year I have dealer do it and have them check impeller.
Your Manual should walk you through it.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2022, 08:45 AM »
Al.
I also pull my batteries and take them in the house and charge them every month!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.