FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling Stickbaits and Weight???  (Read 8551 times)

Thor

Trolling Stickbaits and Weight???
« on: Apr 28, 2010, 03:47 PM »
I haven't done much trolling, but I'd like to start.  I picked up a well-used 14 ft. v-hull utility last year, and I'd like to do some trolling for trout and walleyes on small lakes.  Over the years, I have amassed a very small collection of various hardbaits (floating minnows, Shad Raps, Husky Jerks, Rogues, Long As, etc.)  Now and again I come across some very good deals on stickbaits, and I would like to stock up when the price is right.

My dilema is, because I am new to trolling, I don't have a lot of personal experience with what works best.  Let's say that I find a bin of various Rapala's at 50% off the original price and I want to stock up.  What models should I buy for (relatively) controlled-depth trolling?  This year I put together a few lead core combos, and I'm also looking into three-way rigging, bottom bouncing, etc.  I'm wondering whether it is better to troll floating, suspending, or countdown-style hardbaits when the depth of the bait is controlled by either heavy sinkers or lead core line.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

finlessbrown

Re: Trolling Stickbaits and Weight???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2010, 06:00 PM »
i've haven't heard of many trout or salmon caught on stick baits where i live (vermont). all of my luck comes from trolling spoons of many different colors and designs, but usually a michigan stinger. hope this helps.

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2010, 10:22 AM »
We have done very well for walleye using the reef runner series (especially the deep divers) off the boards.

Thor

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I don't have any Reef Runners - yet.  I assume that you are using them for suspended fish off of boards, and these would probably be great with my lead core rigs.

What about in situations where I am fishing near the bottom using heavy sinkers or bottom bouncers?  Would you still use a diving crankbait?

Cast Away

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 06:21 PM »
I personally like the shallow running baits for several reasons.
1. diving baits will not work off of dipsies
2. diving baits are going to plow bottom and hang up if fishing bouncers or 3 ways on bottom

Shallow runners give me the flexibility to fish shallow or deep where divers can put you out of your depth range. When night fishing I long line shallow floaters. If I get in to shallow or bouncing snaggy bottom all you need to do is kill your speed to bring baits up and away from snags.

Thor

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Thanks, Captain!  Makes good sense to me.  My latest find was a couple of floating Rattlin' Rogues for $2 each, and one was "Clown", which is a color I did not have.

It's been just over a week since walleye season opened here, and I haven't had a chance to get after them yet.  I hope to catch a few this year.

Irish Jigger

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:43 PM »

Shallow runners give me the flexibility to fish shallow or deep where divers can put you out of your depth range. When night fishing I long line shallow floaters. If I get in to shallow or bouncing snaggy bottom all you need to do is kill your speed to bring baits up and away from snags.

That's the same reason I prefer the Jet divers over Dipsy divers, if I hit a spot where the depth comes up fast or for some reason I have to stop the boat the Jet divers will float up when I stop or slow down, where the Dipsys will sink and snag. Losing a $2 harness or even a $5 stickbait is part of the game and is bound to happen once in a while but to add a $6-$8 dollar diver on top of it and have 6 or 8 lines at 20ft and come up on a 12ft hump gets expensive real fast.

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:00 AM »
thats the benefit of the jet divers, but on the negative side, you really cant controll depth too well with them, since you buy them in pre determined depths...if I run plugs, which usually are floating original rapalas ( although the xraps are selling me slowly now) I put them on my downriggers, since I can raise the ball quickly, and should I stop for any reason the lure will float up and reduce tangling. The clown color is probably tied with the silver and black as my top producers...the smaller sized rebels in black n silver usually perform well now, too.
    A Country Boy can Survive!

Irish Jigger

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:29 AM »
I don't have downriggers so I'm stuck using some sort of diver to get deep. Actually if you have ever seen some of the older Jet divers with multiple holes on the mainline side you can adjust them to run a little deeper or a little shallower. Even the new style have mold marks where the holes used to be and you can drill them out. I've got 20' Jets down to 30'-35' and 30' Jets down to 40'-45' so there is a little room for adjustment. Unfortunately I figured this out by snagging bottom, it's always a suprise when your using a 30 Jet in 42' of water and you're catching clumps of zebra musscles.

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Never knew that Irish! learn somethin new everyday! I have a few but I rarely run them...have you ever looked at or heard about the book precision trolling? very valuable stickbait dive charts and other useful info for not just flatling,but  jet divers, dipsys, leadcore and copper. Amazon had some good deals as well as ebay...

Irish Jigger

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 04:55 PM »
No, I've never read it but a few of the old timers have given me piles of charts over the years 'till they closed my marina and I started trailering my boat. Even with them I found it still comes down to trial and error. Unfortunately moneys been tight and I'm having a tough time scrapimg the cash together to get my motor worked on so I can get out for eyes soon.

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 06:39 PM »
I hear ya....moneys tight to buy gas to troll with as well! I feel your pain...I think I speak for a majority of us! :-\

salmoguy

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 02:54 PM »
$70 dollars between the boat and truck this morning..... May get 2 trips outta that - this is out of control.

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 03:52 PM »
$70 dollars between the boat and truck this morning..... May get 2 trips outta that - this is out of control.
You want to see "out of control"? I have a daughter getting married in two weeks and a wife who thinks we're rich! Plus.. I haven't been out fishing since walleye opened :'(. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

jopes

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 07:57 PM »

I am still fishing a good amount, but I am for sure not trying to run all over the lake looking for fish.  I can easily burn off 40-50 in the boat bombing around the lake looking for hungry mouths.  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.