FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New pending world record rainbow trout  (Read 11131 times)

sperrin

Re: New pending world record rainbow trout
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:42 AM »
No matter what that Rainbow is HUGE!! Fish of a lifetime forsure... ;D

Stevo
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

1Cast1Catch

« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2009, 03:43 PM »
And I was fired up about my little 12 incher this spring... :-\

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Congratulations to the Fishinggeeks from Sask. on there 2nd new world record rainbow trout, and same congratulations to the lucky angler from Michigan {Mr. Healy} who caught the new world record brown trout.

Those two trout are simply unreal. :o
Very, very nice catch guys. ;D

WW

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2009, 09:37 PM »
They sure know how to catch big fish, can't take that away from them. Me personally will never recognize 1 of their rainbows as a true world record as they are trypliod (sp) fish. They are genetically altered to be sterile and don't even go through the motions of spawning. They just eat 12 months outta the year which a true rainbow would not.
actually, even if they are sterile it still takes years to get them that big, let alone catch them, because stocked sterile fish will eat almost anything you throw at them, so for it to survive that long it had to have been extremely lucky or incredibly smart. i've personally never seen a rainbow that size, i caught a glimpse of one half that size while fishing the Lochsaw river (however you spell that), and it would follow our flies along the top of the water, just examining them, never got a hit. trout that big have to be special.

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2009, 10:37 PM »
If it is a true triploid (correct spelling) then a simple little karyotype will tell you. A triploid organism has three sets of chromosomes instead of the more common two sets you see in people (human triploids do not survive to birth). I once had a professor from Purdue University that worked with triploid catfish come to my classroom. He explained that they got their triploids by breeding a diploid female with a tetraploid (4 sets) female catfish (don't try this with people for a multitude of reasons). They grew fast and were ready for market in less than a year - and all were females (less waste due to smaller heads and less waste of food because they fought less for territory).

I believe most triploid rainbows are produced by pressure treatments to the eggs.

Triploid or not that lake must have an incredible forage base.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.