FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kokanee Rods  (Read 4188 times)

Crazy Chris

Kokanee Rods
« on: Mar 21, 2020, 03:47 PM »
I've got a question for the salmon/trout trollers out there.  Is anyone using Kokanee rods on downriggers?  I currently use ML fiberglass downrigger rods (8-15LB), but am considering lighter for more action with salmon and brookies (4-8 or 4-10LB range).  A couple concerns.

1. Are they too noodley to control fish right at the boat?
2. Have you every felt outgunned on a big salmon or togue?

I'd probably stick to the 7'6" to 8'6" lengths.  Any recommendations on your Kokanee rod of choice would also be appreciated.  Thanks!
Key West 2020 DC

joefishmore

Re: Kokanee Rods
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2020, 08:23 AM »
Where you finding those 4-8 lb. Brookies ?

sebagosalmo

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2020, 08:29 AM »
I would say a med light 8 ft down rigger rod
I don’t personally have down riggers on my boat but fish with a friends that have 4 riggers on their boats and they use cheap cabelas brand rods and we have caught up to 8 lbs salmon and 8-12 lbs lake trout on these rods as well as 4-5 lbs brook trout with no problems landing them at the boat, I think in my opinion it’s more about a good drag
system on the reels paired with a fast acting rod , and being able to
adjust drag when you know you have a really big fish on !
My personal choice is a 9 ft 9-10 med light fast wt fly rod , with sinking fly line , caught lots of fish from 3-14 lbs on this set up with 6 lbs leader . I would also add that when you have a really big fish on with down-riggers , clear the other gear and put the boat in neutral !
Too many large fish are lost cause folks keep dragging them instead of controlling the fish with rod & reel

Hope this helps

JDK

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2020, 09:59 AM »
I used a Tica Kokanee rod (fiberglass) for several years. LOVED it.  Had the blue blank with a foam handle and it whipped the crap out of salmon.  At the time I paid $40ish for it (Mardens) which was the most I had ever spent on a rod at the time.  As stated above, a smooooooooth drag is more important than the rod anyhoo.  I broke it and never replaced the rod.

I had an Shakepeare Agilty which was a very light action rod and one I'd consider to be a kokanee style rod.  It had a graphite blank and I really liked that one also.  Also broke that rod and they are no longer made.  Also use the Eagle Claw Starfire Light Downrigger rod (6-10 lb) and caught a couple of decent salmon/togue/brookies on them.  I rate them as OK.

All of the above combinations had either Ambassadeur 6500c, Daiwa Accudepth, or Okuma Clarion reels and  were loaded with either 6 or 8 pound test. 

I have looked at the Cabelas and Heartland kokanee rods and they didn't thrill me.

And finally, if you truly are targeting togue in deeper water, I personally like a more powerful rod and using braid.  However since I'm not the one buying, YMMV

added in edit

I should mention that the breaking of the rods were 100% my fault.  gamefisher and MarkNfish understand. 8)
# SAND

stguy

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2020, 11:32 AM »
Where you finding those 4-8 lb. Brookies ?

I'd like to see a 10 pounder.

I've never used a Kokanee rod but I do use the light action Ugly Stiks on my down riggers, they're about as noodley as you can get, caught everything up to 18 pound togue on them and never felt the rod couldn't handle more and they are one of the best rods I've had for reading its action.

Like sebagosalmo and JDK said though, the reel is more important than the rod, having a good drag with lots of backing is were I start, then quality line and terminal tackle tied on with the best knots you know how to tie, put it  on a barbie doll rod and you can land most anything in Maine.

I started using the okuma cold water series reels a couple years ago and I'm impressed with them, the drags have detents so they click as you adjust them and they're very smooth.

seamonkey84

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2020, 02:14 PM »
Going that long with the rod has some pros and cons. The longer rods allow more control in keeping the line tight and turning the fish. But they also give the fish more leverage too, so smaller fish can feel bigger in a light action long rod (like fly rods). That’s not really a negative I guess, but yea, the reel matters more in most these cases.
During ice fishing, ice caught a lake trout that tied my PBs length with a 24” light action rod. It pulled a ton of line, and I had to pump and reel down on the fish to gain line back, but I never felt like there was a lot of pull/weight in the rod handle like when I caught one with a 7’ med action trolling rod or with the 9’ 8wt fly rod.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

JDK

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2020, 06:14 AM »
stguy

Are you using the Ugly Stick Bigwater downrigger models or something else?

# SAND

stguy

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2020, 07:06 AM »
stguy

Are you using the Ugly Stick Bigwater downrigger models or something else?

Yes

Williesnag

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2020, 07:38 AM »
I used daiwa brand trout salmon style Rod's 8 ft 6 in 9 foot medium action with Abu Garcia 5600 and tufline micro-led in 12 pound love both the setups they're awesome caught Browns and salmon 4 lb and over on them no problems what so ever

fishlessman

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2020, 02:05 PM »
have 2 kokanee rods, i think they are rated 4 pounds.  most of the year they are fine on big salmon, the hard jaws early spring is the biggest concern and its the hookset. no way you want to haul up a big laker with them from the depths. i use 1950's penn reels on them with not much drag set at all

SilverSides

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2020, 11:26 AM »
Yes
I also use the Ugly Stik Bigwater 9' version. I like to bend the rod a lot on the riggers. No problem handling the bigger fish.

fishsluggos

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2020, 11:53 AM »
For downriggers I have Lamiglas CGR762L Tournament Kokanee Special Rods. 7.6'

https://www.kokaneetackle.com/p-270-lamiglas-cgr762l-tournament-kokanee-special-rod.aspx

For Leadcore I use Daiwa Heartland HLD-KN 862L - 8.6'

http://www.rodsreview.com/hldtrolling-i167.asp

*Note the longer rods don't seem to work as well on the DR's.

Reels - Daiwa Lexa CC & Abu Garcia 6600.

stguy

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2020, 12:01 PM »
What makes a kokanee rod a kokanee rod? What is different about them?

JDK

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2020, 01:04 PM »
Glenn

I also use the BW downrigger rods and consider them one of the best multi-purpose rods for what we do here in Maine.  They are indestructible.

What makes a kokanee rod a kokanee rod? What is different about them?

A light power rating with a slow to moderate action rod.
# SAND

SilverSides

« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2020, 02:25 PM »
Glenn

I also use the BW downrigger rods and consider them one of the best lulti=purpose rods for what we do here in Maine.  They are indestructible.

That should count for something since it seems you have destroyed plenty of others. :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.