FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bass still spawning in ponds?  (Read 1904 times)

crappie66

• BOILER UP
Bass still spawning in ponds?
« on: Jun 21, 2004, 09:49 PM »
After dinner tonight I decided to walk around the pond here where I live and cast for crappie.  I was using a red/chart. crappie jig with a white head.  As I would walk around I would see huge swirls in the water right next to the shore.  At first I figured it was the carp, but I noticed the fish were returning to the same spot after I would pass and walk by again a few minutes later.  Still not knowing for sure what they were I figured it was something bedding.  I stood a ways back and casted my jig up in the spot where I saw it and caught a 22 inch green carp, aka bass, the third one this year 22 inches or better not even trying to catch bass fishing for crappie.  The second bedding area, the fish was more timid as each time I would run the jig through his area he would dash and make the huge muddy swirl but each time returned within seconds.

Is anybody else still seeing bass spawning?  I know they spawned here in this pond well over a month ago.  I know bluegill spawn over and over again, up into August, but I have never seen bass spawn this late before.

bellmontwrestling

Re: Bass still spawning in ponds?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2004, 12:17 AM »
I did the same thing on Monday night.  My dad and I went out to a 3/4 acre pond and we caught a total of 4 bass that were between 3-4lbs.  We stopped becase the bugs were biting bad.  They seemed to be tearing up the shore line.  I am not sure if I was catching males or females.  But, they did not seem to be fat with eggs.  They were definetely on beds.  Released all 4.  Won't be long and they will be finding a new home in my new pond!!!  4 feet of water already!

crappie66

• BOILER UP
Re: Bass still spawning in ponds?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2004, 02:49 AM »
I have been fishing the pond here where I live off and on throughout the days when I get bored.  Some big males are still on their beds, and some other bass are cruising through where the bluegills are spawning.  The past 3 days I have caught 2 more bass over 22 inches and a couple others around 16 inches.  All caught fishing for crappie using jigs, 1.5 inch white twister tail jigs and 1.5 inch red/chart tube jigs.  Have also caught several nice crappie, they seem to pack themselves in close to either of the two fountains in the pond.  I actually caught my first keeper size bluegill out of the pond this week, it was a measly 8 inches, most of the bluegill are 3 to 4 inch dinks. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.