MyFishFinder By Species > Northern Pike

Wire leader?

(1/7) > >>

Zorros shack:
At Walmart they sell wire leader and I don't know if I should get it because pike and their teeth? Because they might bite the line or just leave the fishing line alone.

Water Wolf:
It depends if you are only targeting pike or if you are going for other species to.
Pike will hit your lure with or with out a leader, but if there are other fish like walleye around they may shy away from it.  It's a matter of your own personal decision.

WW

turkeyhunter10ga:
I agree with Water Wolf  if your targeting the large toothy critters use a leader, i use just the stranded kind, not the cheaper ones.

RLWagner:

--- Quote from: Zorros shack on Jul 12, 2007, 07:09 PM ---At Walmart they sell wire leader and I don't know if I should get it because pike and their teeth? Because they might bite the line or just leave the fishing line alone.

--- End quote ---
The first time you fail to employ a wire leader, inevitably you will hook the largest Pike/Muskie of your lifetime! You will resent forever that decision after he cuts your line like butter. Err on the side of caution, and use the leader, do not up your odds that you will lose the fish of a lifetime! JMO ;)

Neptune:
I have to agree with RL.  I like to fish for Macks(Lake Trout), and they tend to be a pretty finicky fish, but I have caught them while casting spoons for pike with wire leaders and they tag that spoon without reservation.  Had one last week that came up from under the boat and hammered my red/white Krokodile spoon when it was only 12 feet from the boat and about 10 feet down.  It wasn't the biggest Mack I've ever caught but boy did he fight.  Made two good runs on me and wanted nothing to do with the net.  19"er but spirit of a 30"er!!!

Good Fishing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version