FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Understanding Tigers  (Read 22417 times)

Mr.Esox

Re: Understanding Tigers
« Reply #30 on: Apr 23, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Open water fluorescent colors work best and bass size lures. I have done best casting toward structure and June has been my best month.

Hard water tip ups with live and dead bait and early ice I have done best.

Research your lakes  and look for long term numbers at least 10 years. Big water - Big fish

smokemetallic

« Reply #31 on: Apr 25, 2014, 05:27 PM »
I caught quite a few tigers last year. My one piece of advice is go big. Another is be stealthy. And the last is if you have a proven spot, don't flatline troll over it first pass, hit it with big sticks off inlines first.  Some spots in spring/fall can produce multiple fish with multiple passes. The baby tigers are pretty dumb, but once they get bigger, 35" and up, they can be super sketchy and will disppear at the sight of the boat if you aren't stealthy. My two cents.

FishinNY

« Reply #32 on: Apr 25, 2014, 08:01 PM »
I caught quite a few tigers last year. My one piece of advice is go big. Another is be stealthy. And the last is if you have a proven spot, don't flatline troll over it first pass, hit it with big sticks off inlines first.  Some spots in spring/fall can produce multiple fish with multiple passes. The baby tigers are pretty dumb, but once they get bigger, 35" and up, they can be super sketchy and will disppear at the sight of the boat if you aren't stealthy. My two cents.
Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad you brought up a proven spot. My fiancé and I fished for tigers our first time over the winter. I had traps all over the place. We iced two fish that day and both came off a saddle between two small islands on the side facing deep water. Mine was in 8 fow and hers (36") was in 12 fow. That being said, I noticed a pattern for that particular day, and I'll certainly keep it in mind for open water. Thanks!
I am Muskies Inc.

smokemetallic

« Reply #33 on: Apr 25, 2014, 09:54 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention is I never found an area that held only tigers. There was always northerns in the same area. And when I mean go big, think of an F18 rapala as pretty small. The smaller fish will hit any size, but the bigger fish seem to key in on bigger bait.

FishinNY

« Reply #34 on: Apr 26, 2014, 08:06 PM »
I noticed that ice fishing. The bigger the bait, the bigger the fish, every flag. There aren't supposed to be northerns in my tiger lake. The tigers are stocked. Have been every year since 2004. It was on a lake that was wiped out , along with many others, by acid rain. I don't know for sure, but I think they were introduced to control another species when they restored the lakes fish population. I could be wrong, but it's something I'd like to find out.
I am Muskies Inc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.