FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: musky help  (Read 8198 times)

Bgreen02

musky help
« on: Apr 27, 2009, 11:37 PM »
 fish a small lake that has some big musky in it. Have hooked them a couple times but never get them into boat and it is totally random. What are best lures to troll with and times of day to do so

corny13

Re: musky help
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2009, 03:48 PM »
The standard lure for trolling in minnesota is a big Believer.  Big Jakes and Gramma's are also good.  Match the hatch in your lake...ie perch/sucker/tulibee  what ever the skies are eating.  More important than time of day in Minneosta is time of year... early june is good trolling as well as OCT and Nov.  When Im trying to get a friend a first muskie  trolling in late Oct is a really great time.  Some people troll all kind of lures even big spinnerbaits.  In June the best time of day to troll is at night!  Oct.. during the day  and of course near moon sets and rise.  Dont troll over weed beds and wreak the beds....very bad form   >:(  Best luck early on deep water breaks, in Oct over deep water where the cisco/tulibee are.  You need good terminal tackle for muskie trolling also.

corny13

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2009, 03:49 PM »
FORGOT to mention trolling those big 1 lb Bull Dawgs also will get them to strike!  Good Luck.

Bgreen02

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2009, 05:36 PM »
thanks for the information. It is a very shallow lake. Deepest part of lake is 24 feet and it is not a very big pocket. I've heard they hang around some shallow trenches.

jacksmelt

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:38 AM »
if you have some drop offs linned by a shallow area w/ weeds stay on the edge of the drop offs. or patially weeded flats troll on the edge of the weedline. unlike pike they stay on the edges of the weeds instead of in them. i like perch and firetiger myself. jointed shallow crankbaits that match the average size of baitfish in a particular water seem to work best. this time of year troll slow as they are sluggish. one lake i fish the perch are all stunted so a 4in. perch rapala works better than a 6-12in. one. yeah they can be that fussy! good luck!
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Bgreen02

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:25 PM »
see the lake i am targeting them in there arent many perch at all but the fish love to hit the perch rapalas. when i have hooked into the musky it has been on smaller lures when not targeting them. when i switched to a larger lure they have not struck. so it may be timing of the day.

jacksmelt

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:32 AM »
if theyre hitting the smaller lures stay w/ that. ive caught muskie as big as 21lbs. on a med. wieght rod w/ a 3in. shinner on a slipbob when they wouldnt touch anything else. sounds nuts but it worked.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Bgreen02

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 08:38 AM »
my only thing is with the smaller lure I am still hooking into the crappie and bass as well. I was thinking the bigger lure may separate them from the smaller fish.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 08:55 AM »
Greenpm, let me know when your ready and we shall hit that lake but good!! I have the mast installed for the off-shore boards and we should be able to get a nice 6 line spread and one in the wash out there..... ;)
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

Bgreen02

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Greenpm, let me know when your ready and we shall hit that lake but good!! I have the mast installed for the off-shore boards and we should be able to get a nice 6 line spread and one in the wash out there..... ;)
Thanks RL I will let you know. Hopefully I get a weekend day off of work here soon. Be best to get out before weeds over run it. Unless they hit are dusk as well we could do an evening fish.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 07:55 AM »
Thanks RL I will let you know. Hopefully I get a weekend day off of work here soon. Be best to get out before weeds over run it. Unless they hit are dusk as well we could do an evening fish.

Ummm, Brandon I left that message before you were married.... I doubt you will ever see the inside of a boat ever again now that you are hitched.... The ball on the end of the chain is like a barrell of lead shot by the way... just saying.... :o
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

Bgreen02

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 07:59 AM »
Ummm, Brandon I left that message before you were married.... I doubt you will ever see the inside of a boat ever again now that you are hitched.... The ball on the end of the chain is like a barrell of lead shot by the way... just saying.... :o
Your funny. I don't get on here as much. We will be getting out there my friend.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 08:04 AM »
Your funny. I don't get on here as much. We will be getting out there my friend.

Kitty and I are launching from either Selfridge or Metro June 6th for the Musky opener. Hope to get out this weekend to tune the off-shore Boards etc..

Bgreen02

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:09 AM »
Kitty and I are launching from either Selfridge or Metro June 6th for the Musky opener. Hope to get out this weekend to tune the off-shore Boards etc..
i need to check when i get some days off here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.