MyFishFinder By Species > Northern Pike

Ice off pike

(1/3) > >>

TroutFishingBear:
I've never been that fortunate pike fishing, so I'm stoked for Ice off piking.

I heard that using streamers right after ice off on windy days  you will bag the pike.

How many do you guys usually get ice off?

firstice_rules:
right now the pike will be starting to spawn and this is the best time to fish for them. check shallow weed beds and other shallow spots aswell. you could even check streams leading into the body of water. many baits work if they imitate bait. this is what my fishing spot is like but it may be different where you are. my 2cents

Barleydog:
I would fully agree with the first two posts, however, if your fishing up in the Mt.s of Colorado TFB, I would go with your method of streamers.  I have fished there and find it very similar to our waters here in Alaska.  Seems that the waters warm up toooo slow, making the fish extremely sluggish.  They will feed! but we had only caught them on very small streamers and extra stought black maribou jigs fished r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w!  We had always produced 3X  the catch of the average Joe just stickin' with these baits.  The fish that we kept for eating, had stomachs loaded with aquatic insects, sticklebacks, etc... not forage fish!  Hard to believe huh?  In the midwest we "used to" fish them with dead smelt or crankbaits after ice-out, but those pike almost seem like a different fish!  Much more aggressive than the mountain and tundra fish.  I know there's a ton of other variables that are involved here, this had just been my personal experience with these fish.   Just my three cents!  One penny for each of you to toss at me when ready! ;D

Mackdaddy21:
Colorado has many lakes with lots of pike. They just seem almost dormant in the winter. They seem inactive much of the year as well. I consider pike to be very hard to catch. They just don't act agressive here. When they hit they are aggressive, but much of the time you couldn't catch them without dynamite.
I am hoping late spring once the water warms up will be better. Pike fishing is even harder here because they division of wildlife hates them and has a no bag limit policy. Yet another reason to loathe the CDOW. They are the most laughable bunch of idiots ever assembled.
If you go during open water you will usually catch a couple a piece. It seems the ones I hook always spit the hook though.

Tyler

sbfpa_Mike:
Are you sure these are Pike!?  I think pike are easily targeted and caught.  This may be me off course.  All of the Pike I have encountered have not been very happy with me.  They are voracious eaters and will scream after a bait quite aways a way from them.  I am not trying to criticise,  but maybe it's your lure choice or presentation.  If you could give us some details maybe we could help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version