FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: making lures for special kids  (Read 3354 times)

fastribs85

making lures for special kids
« on: May 17, 2004, 02:53 PM »
hey guys i know everyone out there is gonna help with this one i am looking for places that can help me in getting supplies to make some soft plastic lures for the kids at this camp i help out every year all of these kids have a heart defect their families are welcome to come and they have different activities for them to do throughout the week and everyday the get to go fishing and they have some type of crafts the boys are not always interested in crafts and the girls are not alwasy interested in fishing so was hoping that by making lures the boys will be interested in the crafts and the girls may want to go fishing after making thier own lures if any one can offer with some tips in suppliers who might give us a price break or who might have supplies please send me an email at [email protected] i have already checked out janns netcraft they gave me a lot of info
naked women and beer we got it all in here

nehusker13

Re: making lures for special kids
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 03:21 PM »
I found this site one day , cant rememebr what I was looking for. I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, hope it helps.
http://www.zeiners.com/mfhow.html

Rick

raleigh

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 09:57 PM »
Sorry Fastribs, I cant think of any info right off hand but I will look into it for you and I will let you know what I find. It is great to see you are doing this for a good cause. It is rewarding to see the smiles on kids faces. I help with a program in Fruita Colorado that takes children and adults that are not of able body on rafting trips down the Colorado river and through Moab Utah. Any way I will look around the net for any thing that helps.

fastribs85

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 10:15 PM »
raliegh thanks been looking and will keep on plugging will have pictures when i come home its the week august 3 through the 7 wait till ya see those happy kids
 ;)

Liar

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 01:05 AM »

How about the different lure companys themseleves.  Maybe they will kkick some stuff in before it's painted and hooks attached.  Don't forget the rod companies either.  They may have some rods w/minor defects they would let go.

That taped my brain.

Liar   ;)  8)

DIRTBALL2

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 06:51 AM »
Try to get in touch with Dave "Hoggie" Hogard (sp) at Catch-n Tackle. Hoggie is a heck of a good guy that I know spends a lot of his spare time educating kids on the many joys of fishing. :)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

fastribs85

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 07:18 AM »
how can i get in touch with him ???

Mike M

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 09:11 AM »
Here is a site that has some downloadable guides to lure making that may be of some help to you.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/downloads.htm

Mike M
Mike M

Chucker

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 05:41 PM »
Why stick to soft plastics?  If you've got a melter and some molds, you can make jigheads relatively cheaply.  Pick up an assortment of bucktail, foxtail, marabou, and flash.  Then the kids can customize their own lures - they pick the colors and materials.  When we were younger, my uncle used to do this with my cousins and I on crappy, rainy days when we couldn't fish.  I still have a jig I made on one of those days... It's about 15 years old now.

fastribs85

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 09:43 PM »
i thought about that but i wanted to do something that the kids could also use to catch the fis and we have never had any luck with jigs worms grubs lizards and poppers were the only thing i could think of because spinners are a little advanced for them but thanks for the idea

fastribs85

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 08:49 AM »
alright guys cabelas had no lure making supplies that i was looking for but they did give me paperwork to fill out for donations or discounts so i have some work to do but i ended up spending over 40 bucks for the kids and another 70 on myself oh well its all worth it

crappieman12887

« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2004, 01:10 AM »
try janes net craft the have many types of lure bluilding supplys,talk to one of the reps a let them know what you are up two and i am sure they will help you out any way they can,i make 90 percent of my own jigs and they always seem to have what i am looking for.,a nother cheap idea is to teach them how to tie flies,you can get most of the supplies at a craft store,except for the hooks . bill [sorry did notice you already checked with jans ] heres another you my check with lester js tackel .com. they have alot of different stuff]

fastribs85

« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2004, 07:02 PM »
guys heres a link to an article about the camp and how it got started sorta
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04148/322506.stm

crappieman12887

« Reply #13 on: Jul 10, 2004, 09:14 PM »
fast trip sorry i got you message and forgot to post the adresses i get them right out to you,bill

fastribs85

« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2004, 12:34 AM »
thanks ill appreciate that camp is august 2nd to the 6th i think is the last day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.