FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: boat pulling mishaps  (Read 4902 times)

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
boat pulling mishaps
« on: May 28, 2004, 07:22 AM »
Woke up this morning to the traffic report on my local radio station.   Some poor shmuck lost his boat and trailer on rt 80 west and it was blocking the left line.  Pretty creepy considering i'll on that same stretch this afternoon. That will ruin your fishing trip!  Has anyone had thier boat pass them  by on the curve ::)?  The worst that ever happened to me was when my boat got unhooked but safety chains saved they day ;D  I never checked that the tongue was properly seated on the hitch ball and one good bump at 65 mph popped it off :-[ .   I'm sure there's  got to be some juicy stories out there                           J.
GONE FISH'G.......

fozsey

Re: boat pulling mishaps
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 07:39 AM »
Ok, two words....1. Padlock...2. Safety chains and good ones.  :D

Hows this??

Picture worth 1000 words.

BTW, Its not mine...  and "YES" that is someone climbing out the DS window...

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 07:50 AM »
I have also had safety chains save the day.  My uncle was in a hurry, he hooked up his boat and we took off from his house.  At the first good bump it popped off and he didn’t connect the safety chains.  Thanks to quick thinking he used his truck to slow down and eventually stop the run away boat before it turned ugly.  He did manage to add a few more dents to the back of his truck, but that’s a small price to pay.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 10:25 AM »
Drives me nuts when I tow the boat 7 hours out to the Okanogan in B.C. and I can't seem to shake the thing off. Talk about tailgaiting. :-X
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

bigdave1018

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 10:26 AM »
seen 1 suv pulling a smaller boat go to stop at a stopsign. the trailer bounced up and went threw the back window. noone hurt but the guy got lucky. remember the trailer safety chains and better yet buy a toungue lock and get use to using it every time you trail your boat. priceless!!!!!!!!!!!

Out4Trout

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 09:11 PM »
A friend of mine got caught up in a lightning storm and his wife was trying to back the trailer down the ramp while he was in the boat fighting the waves. After several attempts, she still couldn't get that trailer to go straight down the ramp. So he brought the boat ashore (rocky) and she ran over to help tie it off. About the time he got out of the boat the truck started rolling back, and this time the trailer went straight down the ramp....with the truck attached. He said that thru the waves you could see the lights shining and the windshield wippers going. He called a friend with a long chain and pulled it out, but it was a total loss. Insurence covered it all though, he ended up getting a new truck and divorcing his wife. Just kidding about the divorce part, they are still happily married and driving a new truck.  ;D

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 09:14 PM »
 :o WOW  :o
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

reubenpa

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 11:51 PM »
oh my, that would be terrible, but hilarious to I must admit ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  :o :o :o :o
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 12:02 AM »
My ex girlfriend and I had just put the boat on the trailer and I was putting everything in place to go home when I heard a loud splash.  A little boy that was left unattended in the truck placed it in gear and the whole thing backed into the river. The grandfather nearly got run over and thankgod the father jumped to pull his son out of the truck. After it was all over all you could see was the top of the truck under the water. Lesson learned for this guy. Never leave a child unattended in a running vehicle especially on a boat ramp.
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

patrout

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 07:34 PM »
About a month ago I watched 2 wreckers try to put a  new looking 20ft glass boat back on the trailer after it came completely off on a incline  :o didn't look good

bushbunny

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 07:46 PM »
I was travelling up Hwy 63 to Ft. McMurray about 5 yrs ago.  Along the side of the road was a brand new Doral with a 200 Yamaha lying along the shoulder of the highway, still attached to the winch cable.  I stopped to render assistance.  The "boys" had bought a new boat in Edmonton and were bringing it the 500 km home.  Apparently they forgot that you need tiedowns,  the winch dog kicked in, and that the safety chain be attached.  Travelling at 110 kmh, the boat left the trailer, skidded on its bottom behind the trailer along the highway for at least 1/2 mile, before the boys realized that it was no longer sitting on the trailer.  The bottom of the boat was worn through, and the lower unit of the engine looked like it had been over a rock reef at 100 kmh.   In a beer induced fog, they were trying to load it back on the trailer and get it up to Ft. Mac to put in their garage, insure it, and make a subsequent claim.  What a circus!!!

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2004, 10:35 PM »
Ouch bushbunny those guy's must of had tears in their eyes. :( :(
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

bushbunny

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2004, 10:38 PM »
They were a couple of boys from "the Rock" working at Syncrude.  Bucks were the least of their problem.  As only a Newfie can do, they were peeing themselves laughing, "Eh by, good thing that it was only the boat.  We still have the trailer!"

backwoodswalker

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2004, 01:42 PM »
Never had a mishap with a boat but did have one with a 24 foot camper. ::) Bought one cheap at an auction a few years ago and did not have my pickup to pull it home ???. A "friend" volunteered to help ;D. Backed up and hooked her up and hooked safety chains up, and away he goes. ;) I follow him for about 10 minutes on I94 at 65mph and all the sudden I see sparks coming from under trailer :'( I kick out to come up beside him to wave him over when camper veers to left and into median it goes. :o that rascal rolled a bunch of times and croosed other lanes and ended up in ditch on the other side.  :-[Looked like a crumpled piece of tin foil. Turned out trailer needed a 2 5/16 ball and he had a 2 incher. :-[  His vehicle insurance covered the trailer ;D Looking back we can laugh at the whole thing but it sure scared us all when it happened. Thank God nobody got hurt

trapperdirk

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 01:33 AM »
Gotta love those lads from the rock eh bushbunny . LOL . I'm surprised they actually didn't try to fire up the boat and drive her the rest of the way home . ;D Ouch .
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.