FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Electroshocking's effect on Crayfish  (Read 1655 times)

TroutFishingBear

Electroshocking's effect on Crayfish
« on: Jul 16, 2004, 10:42 PM »
On my float on the yampa river, a river that was just finished being electroshocked for pike and smallmouth, I noticed that all the crayfish were dead. Seems that the only logical explanation tons of crayfish were all dead at the same time is the electroshocking. I can't think of any other reason. I also noticed this on the colorado river, too, another electroshocked river.

I am thinking that it kills most of the crayfish. I think that somebody should look into this, and any info. or exp. you guys have would be great. Thanks.

fastribs85

Re: Electroshocking's effect on Crayfish
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2004, 04:44 PM »
thats interesting ive never seen or heard about this
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Chucker

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2004, 05:12 PM »
I used both boat and backpack shockers in college, and never saw this.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2004, 05:38 PM »
I used both boat and backpack shockers in college, and never saw this.

I'm thinking that it doesn't kill them immediately, or it would be noticed too.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2004, 05:51 PM »
TFB,

I have noticed this too on both rivers. I am tired of the US FISH AND WILDLIFE playing God to recover chubs and suckers no one gives a hoot about. These fish will not recover anyway.
These crayfish are blown completely apart in these locations. I know what electricity does when it shocks living things that are small enough to be killed by the current.
It's a fact, only 4 species (bald eagle, grizzly bear, gray wolf, and peregrine falcon) have been downlisted thanks to the Endangered Species Act. No fish have ever been recovered. Period. Like I have been stressing, the ESA is a threat to our future in fishing. It is the favorite tool of extreme environmentalists to lock up public land to the public. and control or alter our use thanks to irrecoverable species.
Extinction is a part of life. If it were up to the FWS, dinosaurs would prolbably still be around.

Tyler

Fishingking

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2004, 07:11 PM »
when electrofishing i have seen crayfish get shocked and i was unaware that it kills them  maybe it has somethign to do with when they get flipped over they cant turn them self back on their feet  this maybe have somethign too do with the part of the body that lets them know if they are up or down  (cant think of the name) but if this part gets one grain of sand in it     it will thorw their whole equalibrium off so they may be laying upside down yet think they are right side up

Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.