FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pond Algae Results  (Read 1484 times)

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
Pond Algae Results
« on: Jul 20, 2004, 07:09 AM »
I thought I would post this becuase some of you gave detailed answers to the pond questions I had.

I removed all the algae blooms with smelt nets first. A friend and I got into my 14 foot alum boat and took it all out. It kinda looked funny I must say because the pond is not huge. Not small either but it did kinda look funny.

Anyway after the algae blooms were cleared away about a hours worth of work we applied "Aquashadow"

I went to a farm store and looked at several possible solutions. The Aquashadow said in multiple places that it would not harm fish but would stop algae. The way it works is it is a dye that colors the water a very nice looking blue. This then creates a layer by which the UV of the sun can not penetrate thus taking away what the algae needs to multiply. It does not however reduce the amount of air in the pond.

I hooked up a air pump and circulated the water for a solid 12 hours to spread evenly and make sure there was adequate air for the fish just in case.

All fish are doing fine, no kill off at all.  Algae has not returned.

Went swimming in the crisp new clean water on Sunday night.

It is a bit pricey but well worth it. It cost about $65 with tax. I have enough for 4 treatments at this cost which really brings down the overall cost of ownership. A treatment is to last around 3-4 months.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
Re: Pond Algae Results
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2004, 07:37 AM »
great to hear you cleared up your pond without any die offs .now you should make yourself a sighn that says welcome to my ond ,you'll notice theres no p in it ,lets keep it that way ;) ;D
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

Fishingking

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2004, 04:37 PM »
hey seems like it worked  and cost effective also
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2004, 04:48 PM »
That's good. hopefully it didn't kill any of the planktons that bluegill eat, thus disrupting your food chain.

Powerworm

• There's One!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2004, 07:41 PM »
Dyes are a good tool to have in the toolbox, but it only slows down the growth of algae. It doesn't prevent it. Keep an eye on it after a good rain. If the dye fades and goes unnotices for a couple days you could have a major algal explosion. This happened to me this spring and I nearly got my butt sued by a home owners association. You should have enough for the rest of this year and maybe enough for most of next year depending on rain fall (if your pond has a outflow). I would not bother retreating after say mid October as algae season should be over and the dye might ruin ice fishing.  One good trick of the trade is to pour the dye on the ice to prohibit early spring blooms. The ice melts and the dye will spread out by itself. Good luck

Mudbug

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2004, 08:34 PM »
I wonder if'n dat stuff'll werk in da battroom?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.