FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Stripers all over...  (Read 5469 times)

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
Re: Stripers all over...
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2004, 12:32 PM »
BoB,  Fantastic fish!  WoW....  Looked like some nice water too.

Somers

« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2004, 12:39 PM »
Bob, Nice fish.  Where in CT.  Eastern or Western, no specifics.  The Blues have been hammering the bunker all over LI sound, and guys are complaining about a lack of bass at times.  The largest I've heard about in the past week were only half the size of the fish you got.  Gotta love when evrything aligns and all is perfect in the fishing world.  Keep those lines tight.

Esox

« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2004, 01:56 PM »
Somers,
We were fishing the western part of the sound. Not much for bunker around anymore thatnks to the comercial netters in Jersey. ::) I guess that is why the bass are all over the shad when they see them. We don't normally get many fish under 35" or so, but then again we are not targeting schoolies either. Tube and worm has been very productive for those who are using it, but you will tend to get smaller fish.  We are reef fishing on the bottom, so that helps weed out the smaller ones., and so does the size of the bait.  Fishing with a friend that is a guide in the area helps too.  ;)  Somehow I avoided the bluefish on this trip. I guess I got lucky. ;) They are fun to catch, but not when you are setup to fish for stripers.

Barleydog,
Yes, it was a perfect day in every respect. Days like that make it hard to think about ice fishing. ;)

wny angler

« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2004, 04:36 PM »
man  those are some awesome  fish,nice of them to hold still like that for the photos

fastribs85

« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2004, 05:33 PM »
bob im not complaining about being tired but just letting the guys know what i experianced i was also about 12 or 13 when i caught my las stripers
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Esox

« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2004, 08:18 PM »
Fastribs,
Sorry, You must have misunderstood what I wrote. I meant to say that I did not complain that I was sore, meaning it was a good thing. No ill will intended.  ;)

Fishingking

« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2004, 09:41 PM »
wow those are some great fish and looks like some great time spent on the water with your  friend   sure beats fishing vermont doesnt it :)         i wish i could catch jsut one striper outts the hudson in the spring lol
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #22 on: Jul 28, 2004, 09:46 PM »
I live near possibly some of the best freshwater striper fishing in the us, lake powell (AZ) on the colorado river and lake mead on the colorado river(Nevada). Although I have never been to either of them :'( pretty much everyone I know has and they experience great striper fishing (freshwater). The world record is from lake mead I think. We were going to fish powell this summer,  but no...

Those are some beautiful stripers; were they saltwater or freshwater?

deerhunter

« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2004, 06:57 AM »
hey bob buetiful fish.i,m from mass and do alot of stripper fishing
around cuttyhunk,gloester,cape cod bay and the merrimack.
we do get some big fish like those but not in 2s and 3s. nice going.

Esox

« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2004, 10:25 AM »
TFB,
The largest inland striper I know of is from Oregon and that one was 68 lbs. The world record is still a salt water fish from New Jersey and it tiped in at 78.5 lbs. Bigger ones have been neted, but they don't count for a world record.

Deerhunter,
I'll be headed down to the Mack this weekend. There are some good fish there too. What I saw on Friday was a freak show. I'll probably never see that many big fish in one place again. Just think what things would be like if they had some bunker to eat. :o

got em

« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2004, 10:30 PM »
 ;) nice stripers,I got the fever all over again,cant wait till next year on the hudson river,are there and 50 inchers that come up the hudson???

Esox

« Reply #26 on: Jul 31, 2004, 10:23 AM »
I'm sure there are 50's that go up the Hudson. From what I hear the run was weak this year. It was the same way in the CT river. The Thames river in CT seemed to do ok, but I think the lack of bait is really hurting the river fishing. It seems like most of the high calorie food for these fish is being taken by the commercials.

deerhunter

« Reply #27 on: Aug 02, 2004, 06:38 AM »
hey bob d howd you do in the mack over the weekend. i fished it the weekend before
and caught 4 keeoers on the outgoing. the blues were bitting my hooks off on the incoming. they were good size ones too. tried some fluking on the salisbury side and left after.

Esox

« Reply #28 on: Aug 02, 2004, 07:41 AM »
Not as well as we wanted to. The water temp in the river dropped about 15 degrees and gave the fish lock jaw. We worked hard for the ~18 fish we go.  ~8 shorts and about 10 "keepers" with one decent fish at 43". Most of the fish were caught on the second half of the outgoing when the warm water came back down the river.

The wife with her 43"....

fastribs85

« Reply #29 on: Aug 02, 2004, 08:33 AM »
hey man nice catch i bet it was nothing compared to your striper outing before
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.