FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Well that's not good just before vacation!  (Read 2665 times)

taxid

Well that's not good just before vacation!
« on: Jun 07, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Just hooked up the Helix 7 to the kayak transducer and battery and it just flickers. Battery is good, connections are good. Will have to flip over the kayak when I get it out of the pond and take look at the transducer. May have damaged it by dropping the kayak on the floor a while back. (without the unit). Will test it on the main boat alternate transducer to see if it's the transducer.

If all else fails I'll take the one off the main boat! And if that's a no go I'll hook up the Vexilar! Kind of like the Vexilar for locating fish and their proximity to the the bait in real time. 

:( :( :(
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Well that's not good just before vacation!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2019, 11:19 AM »
At least you checked before vaca!
Wicked Wec

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2019, 01:07 PM »
You are sure the battery is up in charge? The Helix series will be real funky if the battery is lower than 12v. Both of mine will flicker like that if it doesn't see enough voltage.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2019, 01:36 PM »
You are sure the battery is up in charge? The Helix series will be real funky if the battery is lower than 12v. Both of mine will flicker like that if it doesn't see enough voltage.

God Bless you Jethro! You're right! Even though my little meter says the battery is "Good" it doesn't tell me how charged it is. Hooked up to a big 12 volt and it worked fine!

Now I need to determine of putting that little 12 volt on a charger will rectify the issue or I need another battery. I may just buy another one as a back up as the Helix draws it down in just a couple of hours. Or perhaps the batter is on the way out?

I sure as hell can't put a full size battery in the kayak!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2019, 01:43 PM »
God Bless you Jethro!

A wee bit extreme Geoff?

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2019, 02:06 PM »

A wee bit extreme Geoff?

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Gosh no! Just found out the Vexilar is not an option! That would mean I'd have to go without a fish fish finder fishing for suspended fish!

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Last year the morning I'm headed off on vacation I find a lag screw in the tire! Fortunately a small garage down the road had it fixed in no time.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2019, 06:33 AM »
Battery gets wiped out in a matter of minutes after full charge. Time for a new battery.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2019, 07:21 AM »
Glad I could help. I had the exact same thing happen to mine.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2019, 12:08 PM »
...Now let's address that problem with dropping things on the floor..... :o
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2019, 10:35 PM »
You guys will never believe it! This morning I noticed one of the vehicle tires was a little low. We just put brand new tires on it two day ago! It was another lag bolt! I don't know where the hell it came from but it wasn't from my property. We wasted 45 minutes this morning getting the tired fixed before we hit the road!

So I stop at a Cabelas just off of 90 East in Avon Ohio and figure no sweat I'll pick a small battery for the fish finder in the kayak. NOPE! All they had was big batteries that would be too heavy for my kayak. The icefishing fishfinder batteries are not in stock this time of year. Will be doing a search on the Internet of kayak suppliers and see if there is anything on my way to Maine or in Maine.  I thought out getting a motorcycle battery but they aren't deep cycle. 

fishinjohn

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2019, 05:00 AM »
Sounds like it's time you stop taking vacations ::)

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #12 on: Jun 11, 2019, 06:35 AM »
I would stop at a battery shop along the way... a place like Battery World? I have went a few times at a place called Yorkville Battery, find a place like this. they know batteries and have them.
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Unclegillhunter

• Green grass and high times forever!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2019, 10:19 AM »
Well hopefully you have gotten all of your bad luck out of the way! As Bart mentioned Most any battery shop should have a 9 ah battery to run your sonar. Hope you have a wonderful vacation!
Keep it safe! JDL
Keep it safe! JDL

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Cecil....I went to a 12ah batty was going to put it in my Marcum but too big for that so I put it in for my kayak....but what I did last year for my kayak was hooked up 2 7ah batty in parallel and never ran out of juice....bought on internet...just googled it.....hope this helps....good luck on your vaca....send pics.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.