FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Landlocked Salmon  (Read 3672 times)

TightLinesMaine

Landlocked Salmon
« on: Apr 12, 2021, 05:17 PM »

caught it fly fishing not even a dozen casts in at the first spot I went to... had high hopes after & fished hard for almost 2 more hours at various spots (big streamers) but not even another bite or sign of fish (I'm not counting Suckers as fish here ;P).  My arm feels like its gonna fall off and lost a fly but other than that great day!  May try once more this spring while there is still water left.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: Landlocked Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2021, 06:15 PM »
Nice fish, Randall. Congrats!   I also got into some salmon today, using the wind to my advantage.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2021, 06:36 PM »
Nice fish, Randall. Congrats!   I also got into some salmon today, using the wind to my advantage.

thanks, and Nice! perhaps we were in the same watershed? probably not though, with your plethora of spots  ;D  can't wait to see the pics though!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2021, 07:53 PM »
'nother one, this one was a half " or so smaller, wicked fun

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2021, 08:51 AM »
Nice job! Are you done for the spring now, or is the water still holding for you?

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2021, 11:02 AM »
Nice job! Are you done for the spring now, or is the water still holding for you?

thanks, I'm not done and I think there's a week or two left of (salmon) fishing before the water gets too low/too warm.  But it is already crazy how low it is where i'm fishing, we're like a month ahead flow wise (i.e. flows look like late May/Early June already).  Not good.  On a good year, you could catch salmon here right up to the first week of June.  That won't even be remotely possible this year judging on how things look now.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2021, 11:42 AM »
thanks, I'm not done and I think there's a week or two left of (salmon) fishing before the water gets too low/too warm.  But it is already crazy how low it is where i'm fishing, we're like a month ahead flow wise (i.e. flows look like late May/Early June already).  Not good.  On a good year, you could catch salmon here right up to the first week of June.  That won't even be remotely possible this year judging on how things look now.

So apparently these springs are dependent on surface springs that are tied in with the near surface water table?

Is there any pumping done for agriculture in the area? We have irrigators in our area that pump in the neighborhood of 200 gpm with doing the math is about 300,000 gallons per day. During one drought year a commercial farm one county north of me dropped the aquifer 30 + feet. A lot of angry people had their wells run dry.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2021, 04:27 PM »
caught another today, i'll upload pics in a bit.

So apparently these springs are dependent on surface springs that are tied in with the near surface water table?

Is there any pumping done for agriculture in the area? We have irrigators in our area that pump in the neighborhood of 200 gpm with doing the math is about 300,000 gallons per day. During one drought year a commercial farm one county north of me dropped the aquifer 30 + feet. A lot of angry people had their wells run dry.

climate change is the culprit

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2021, 04:55 PM »

~19" male from today, he fought well

edit: I caught a salmon exactly 23 months ago (5/19/19) at this same location, and I'm positive the water was higher then than it was today... we're lacking one month's worth of precipitation at the least.

Jim C.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2021, 08:01 PM »
Keep up the the nice run you're on, Randall! 8)  Nice looking fish!  I haven't fished the brooks since the first week of the season.  I've been wading the lakes and fishing drop offs.  The fishing is slower than Fall, but I've had some success.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2021, 03:38 PM »
Keep up the the nice run you're on, Randall! 8)  Nice looking fish!  I haven't fished the brooks since the first week of the season.  I've been wading the lakes and fishing drop offs.  The fishing is slower than Fall, but I've had some success.

Thanks Jim, and nice! Must be exciting getting bites in lakes/ponds this time of year pre-stocking trucks! Not something I can say i've done.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 05:26 PM »
from today

Jim C.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 06:48 PM »
Another good one, Randall!  I lost a nice one today.  It bumped my lure once.  I changed lures for the next cast and it grabbed hard, but only stayed pinned for a short time :P

from today

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 10:34 PM »
two from today; the big female LL fought like hell i couldn't believe it, absolutely hammered my streamer on a tight line, she jumped once clean out of the water too - so much fun, my biggest of the year so far as well.

Another good one, Randall!  I lost a nice one today.  It bumped my lure once.  I changed lures for the next cast and it grabbed hard, but only stayed pinned for a short time :P

thanks! you'll make up for it down the road i'm sure!

Jim C.

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 06:54 PM »
More nice fish, Randall!  Ventral fin clips on these, looks like both ventrals.

I got into some salmon on the 5th. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.