FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Study of herrons  (Read 1777 times)

joefishmore

Study of herrons
« on: Jul 08, 2018, 12:39 PM »
The fish and game dept is now studying Blue Herrons, tracking devices etc. Is this being paid for with license fees that could be put to better use ?
I should think there should be another branch of government to study non game creatures.

deerhunter

Re: Study of herrons
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2018, 07:15 AM »
figurers. do they eat that many fish?

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Probably some snowflake trying to figure out how to hold them to a bag limit.

jacksmelt

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:05 AM »
The fish and game dept is now studying Blue Herrons, tracking devices etc. Is this being paid for with license fees that could be put to better use ?
I should think there should be another branch of government to study non game creatures.
i agree! this is somthing that should have a separate funding source not just paid from revenue from fishermen. it should be done from a federally funded organization so that everyone, not just outdoorsmen , fund such things. its only fair! i believe in monitoring non game species but i think all taxpayers should have their taxes pay for it. not just 1 group.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

jacksmelt

« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Probably some snowflake trying to figure out how to hold them to a bag limit.
Bingo! no shortage of them here! if anything , like mergansers, gulls, cormorants there are a lot more now than when i was a kid. never saw a cormorant up here until 15 yrs ago! now they're everywhere!

JDK

« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08:28 AM »
A lot of non-game research is funded through means other than licence fees such as the Chickadee Checkoff, by purchasing conservation licence plates,  or federal sources of funds.  Some of these grant funds are derived as "royalties" from private industry utilizing federal lands.

I'm sure there are other sources that I am forgetting, such as the Maine Outdoor Heritage Fund.

# SAND

lobsterman

« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2018, 11:47 AM »
there more comerantys now because the commercial fisherman have stopped shooting them

joefishmore

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2018, 05:29 PM »
They used to have an "EGG DAY " when every went out to the islands  and smashed the eggs of predatory birds.
I think they used to eat some or theegg
University of Maine should be studying non game species not Innland Fisheries and Game.

Alphafish

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2018, 09:45 AM »
I remember some 10 years ago or so, I was fishing a small brook here in Central NY. The county hatchery had recently stocked brook trout and the herons tied the old feed bag on but good. This was a really small brook (Pool's Brook) and didn't get a huge allocation of fish. But I image herons can to some damage to a pretty small fishery.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Ive read a bit on the study as it’s been going on for years. I was first attracted to it when they mentioned they tracked birds from central Maine going to Cuba in the winter.

Most of the man power stuff appears to be spotters and volunteers. Like hundreds of them.

Sounds like funding is primarily through Federal sources as they are migratory, I think I read something about a past Oil Spill reimbursement fund, and federal and state grants.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

JDK

« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2018, 10:47 AM »
One would (might) be amazed at the amount of volunteer hours and non-licence fee funding IF&W uses for a wide variety of projects.

# SAND

jacksmelt

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2018, 09:27 AM »
watched a american bittern, known locally as a fish hen. pluck a bunch of minnows out of the fire pond near my house. wasnt any minnows in there originally so i put some killfish and fatheads in there to eat the mosquito and black fly larvae. on calm nights the pond is swirling with schools of them now. I've seen herons, loons and a pair of nesting bitterns that feed there regularly now. the bittern nest is in the field next door to me. i hear them calling in the evening.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.