FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dead Gobies  (Read 5875 times)

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
Re: Dead Gobies
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 05:01 AM »
It's probally from the lake temp change.  The shoreline waters in my area were in the mid 50's.  The East wind brought in cold water in quickly.  The water was 41 degrees on shore the other day.

mcully

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 05:14 AM »
If it is temp change at least the smallies weren't sitting on beds as has happened in the past.

eyedoktr

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 05:57 AM »
The dead gobies are from an enzyme being put in the water that the Canadian Ministry found that kills only the gobies. My MWC partner is from Ontario and is going to send me the info when he gets home and has a minute. I'll post it here when I get it.
Pete Lewis

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 10:45 PM »
The dead gobies are from an enzyme being put in the water that the Canadian Ministry found that kills only the gobies. My MWC partner is from Ontario and is going to send me the info when he gets home and has a minute. I'll post it here when I get it.

I wonder if thats something that they work out with our government because of it being a shared border lake for both countries . I'm sure that there has to be some kind of shared cost and research . Makes you wonder how they discoverd that so fast because gobies havent been a notable problem for all that long .

esox slayer

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 06:37 AM »
I wonder if thats something that they work out with our government because of it being a shared border lake for both countries . I'm sure that there has to be some kind of shared cost and research . Makes you wonder how they discoverd that so fast because gobies havent been a notable problem for all that long .

I don't know how much discussion there is between the 2 countries on this matter, because DEC is awaiting on test results as well, and on the news reports they have not mentioned anything about the Canadians releasing any enzymes..

I don't doubt that it could and probably is some enzyme released to help control them, I just wanted to mention that it hasn't been mentioned up this way as far as a cause (yet).......Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

scout57

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 09:34 AM »
too bad there wasn't a market for dead or alive gobies :D :D :D

eyedoktr

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 09:49 AM »
C'mon guys. Let's not be too hard on these gobies. Remember.....they love to eat bass fry.   :D
Pete Lewis

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 10:20 AM »
maybe thats what killed them? ;D

Pikeguy

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 10:38 AM »
You guys  ::)

jimski2

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 06:03 PM »
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported on a major Perch Kill from Lorain to Coneaut in the Ohio waters of Lake Erie today. Also other species dead.

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 09:14 PM »
Eyedoctor,

Where did you hear about this enzyme?  Sounds like a rumor to me.  I go to a Canadian salmon fishing website for Lake Ontario and no one has said anything about that enzyme.  If you could post some documentation I would be interested. 

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 09:41 PM »
C'mon guys. Let's not be too hard on these gobies. Remember.....they love to eat bass fry.   :D
All the more reason to control the gobie population !

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 10:50 PM »
too bad there wasn't a market for dead or alive gobies :D :D :D

When I worked in IL Doing creel surveys I heard rumor that there were gobies On some of the shelves of seafood stores in certain parts of chicago.    IT would give an eplaination to why all the russians, polish, and asian people targeted those ugly brown fish. 

RogueAngler

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 09:17 PM »
Eyedoctor.....
any chance this info is in yet from you and your partner, I'm very interested in reading the how's and why's on this one. There is more than one agenda going on with the big lake and its time more info on whats going on made it into the mainstream in places such as this forum, after all we are the license buyers paying the bills. NY seems to have farmed out a project to Canada that should have been instituted here on the US side.

Rogue
" The older I get and the longer I live, the less time I have to go fishing"

mcully

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 05:23 AM »
I was on the beach near Sandy Pond this weekend and didn't see any dead or live ones.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.