FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trot Lines  (Read 1988 times)

Spikehorn11

Trot Lines
« on: Jun 03, 2006, 04:16 PM »
Are trot lines legal in NY??

SKUNK-MASTER

Re: Trot Lines
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2006, 04:55 PM »
i used to do that all the time when i was a kid...always amixed bag..cats,perch sunnies, rock bass, even caught a nice walleye once...not sure if it is actually legal though???

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2006, 06:33 PM »
Not sure if it's legal or not but from what I hear it's not .
I came to New York from Nebraska and we used to do it there all the time !
It's a blast if you can find the rite places to go .
I'll put youre address on my buddy list and do some research .
One of my neighbors is an econ officer so I'll ask him and let you know what he says . I would love to get back into that again so if it's legal maybe we can hook up because we have a lot of good water arround me to run lines in !

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2006, 01:43 AM »
No.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fishregs/anglingdef.html

Traditional trot lines are left unattended.  I suppose if you wanted to lay out a line with 15 hook points (5 baited) and sit by them that may be legal.

Anyone else's take on this?

1tigger

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:03 AM »
thanks I guess that pretty much sums it up !

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:14 AM »
not legal...and I'm pretty sure you are limited to the number of hook points per line at one time.  It specifies it somewhere in the regs.

producetim

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2006, 03:33 PM »
thourht the # of points per line only delt with ice fishing. could be wrong though
if life gives you lemons, throw them at someone

biggeorge50

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2006, 06:46 PM »
The DEC calls them set lines.  This is from the DEC website:

(d) Set lines.

(1) The department shall designate waters where set lines may be operated. A listing of such waters will be available to the public from all department regional offices. Operation of set lines is regulated by the following further provisions.

(2) Set lines may be used to take whitefish, bullheads, catfish, American eel, white perch, yellow perch, pumpkinseed, bluegill, redbreast sunfish, rock bass, carp, suckers, freshwater drum, burbot and bowfin in waters designated by the department.

(3) No person shall operate more than one set line in any body of water in which set lines are permitted.

(4) A set line tag, issued by the department, must be attached to the shore end of each set line when it is in use in such a manner that it will be on the top of or above the water and in plain sight at all times.

(5) Set lines must be visited by the licensee at least once each 24 hour period and all fish must be removed from the set line at that time.

(6) One end of each set line must be attached to the shore and the other end of said set line must be anchored to the bottom.

(7) Only dead bait or worms shall be used to bait set line hooks. Use of minnows, dead or live, is prohibited.

(8) A set line shall not exceed 500 feet in length. Hooks must be spaced at least 15 inches apart and such hooks shall not be larger than number 4-0 except as specified below.

(9) In Oneida Lake a set line shall not exceed 1,500 feet in length and shall not have more than 300 hooks. Hooks must be spaced at least 15 inches apart and such hooks shall not be larger than number 7-0.

I had licenses for set lines about 20 years ago.  A different license is needed for each body of water the line is set in.  At that time they were $3 each.  Don't know what they are now.
I know enough, I just can't think of most of it.

steely219

« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2006, 09:39 PM »
i used to catch monster cats on them

1tigger

« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2006, 09:52 PM »
biggeorge50
thanks for the info !
I drive rite past the region 8 office every day so I'll stop and see if there are any changes to what you know and where it can be done .

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #10 on: Jun 04, 2006, 10:18 PM »
Well, there you have it.  Thanks.    Is this a great site or what!

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/regs/part36.html#36.1

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2006, 12:21 AM »
WOW  that took some digging, thanks for pulling it up...very interesting...was told it was illegal by a CO at one time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.