FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good mono for pike?  (Read 25610 times)

deadbait dave

Re: Good mono for pike?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2009, 01:58 PM »
gamma 80lb floro 12" as a leader or american fishing wire in red 45lb 12" as a leader with any line you choose!

ScubaBrian24

« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Do you have a preference of which one to use Dave?  Also, does either one fit a certain situation better?

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2009, 05:05 PM »
As Dave said, the AFW 1x7 Surfstrand is cheaper than dirt and works great. It will get a little kinky after a few fish, but it is more than cheap enough to throw away. You can just save your snaps and swivels and make a new leader for pennies.

http://www.fishusa.com/American-Fishing-Wire-Surfstrand-Camo-Wire_p.html

There is also a big difference in fluoro line, and fluoro leader. Leader is much more expensive, MUCH TOUGHER, and comes on wrist spools. I have used Triple Fish Fluorocarbon Leader for the past few seasons with no trouble.

deadbait dave

« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Do you have a preference of which one to use Dave?  Also, does either one fit a certain situation better?

i use the floro in clear water, the wire in stained/dirty water and at night.

ScubaBrian24

« Reply #19 on: Apr 03, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys...it's definitely appreciated!   ;D

Bunk

• Fish on!!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2009, 01:09 PM »
i use 20 # trilene XT with a good quality leader. works for me ;D

esox v

« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2009, 02:44 PM »
If I was using mono it would be 17# anything heaver is to difficult to cast.

I would not fish for pike or muskies with out wire of some sort and don't believe anyone who says they never get bit off with fluorocarbon leaders. I have used it as leader material in both fresh and saltwater. It's tough but not that tough. 
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

deadbait dave

« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2009, 01:53 PM »
55 northerns this winter 1 breakoff!  245lb bigeye 80lb floro works well for me fresh and salt! as the saying goes "every man's got to know his limitations"

esox v

« Reply #23 on: Apr 13, 2009, 06:21 PM »
55 northerns this winter 1 breakoff!  245lb bigeye 80lb floro works well for me fresh and salt! as the saying goes "every man's got to know his limitations"

How about in the spring and summer when the don't fight like an old  leather boot. Pike's teeth are designed to cut.

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2009, 06:57 PM »
80lb Fluro can take it, trust me. I have had plenty of boatside thrashers with it. It ain't steel, and it ain't my first choice, but it works. ;)

esox v

« Reply #25 on: Apr 13, 2009, 09:33 PM »
80lb Fluro can take it, trust me. I have had plenty of boatside thrashers with it. It ain't steel, and it ain't my first choice, but it works. ;)

Dude seriously what Is the line diameter of 80 # fluro. I guess if I was trolling for ski's with 80# power pro I would consider it. As for casting or anything like that... I would take  8"- 12" 27# stranded wire all day.

deadbait dave

« Reply #26 on: Apr 14, 2009, 07:57 AM »
I posted a similar topic in th equipment forum professing my love for monofilament lines (haha).  Since i mostly target northern, I thought I would hit up the pike forum a well to maximize feedback.  Anycrap, on to my question:  What would be some good mono lines for pike?  Any input short of "use braid," is welcomed and appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

getting back to the origin of the thread, instead of jumping in and bashing mono or floro, if you have nothing positive to add thanks in advance we all know about wire and it's ability to catch toothy critters. if you like it use it! i'll put floro up against wire anyday when it comes to fishing clear pressured waters because i get bit more period!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #27 on: Apr 14, 2009, 05:24 PM »

Dude seriously what Is the line diameter of 80 # fluro. I guess if I was trolling for ski's with 80# power pro I would consider it. As for casting or anything like that... I would take  8"- 12" 27# stranded wire all day.

What does the diameter of a short leader have to do with anything? It may cause lures to run a tad shallower, but in the grand scheme it is much less visible! Big pike are not stupid like the little ones. When you fish gin clear water, you want to keep your gear a little more low key. Big northerns can be as tackle shy as walleye when they want to be. I fish surfstrand most of the time, but when they follow and just wont hit this is often the key. Sometimes you even need to downsize your treble hooks.

esox v

« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:08 PM »
What does the diameter of a short leader have to do with anything? It may cause lures to run a tad shallower, but in the grand scheme it is much less visible! Big pike are not stupid like the little ones. When you fish gin clear water, you want to keep your gear a little more low key. Big northerns can be as tackle shy as walleye when they want to be. I fish surfstrand most of the time, but when they follow and just wont hit this is often the key. Sometimes you even need to downsize your treble hooks.
   Well because depending how large a diameter your leader is has an effect on depth as stated and also lure action. Do you use a barrels or snaps and how large do they need to be to attach  80# fluro to them. My next question is  at what Diameter does invisible fluorocarbon become not so invisible ? 80 ...100... 150... 200.
 Sorry I'm not buying the use of fluorocarbon in the place of wire. I use it for walleye, trout, salmon and would consider it in a trolling application for pike And muskie.
  I agree it is Clear, very abrasive resistant and works great as a shock leader.
  Sorry about the thread hijack

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #29 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:24 PM »
I posted a similar topic in th equipment forum professing my love for monofilament lines (haha).  Since i mostly target northern, I thought I would hit up the pike forum a well to maximize feedback.  Anycrap, on to my question:  What would be some good mono lines for pike?  Any input short of "use braid," is welcomed and appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I'll tell ya what. I have used trilene xl for years now and have never had a problem. Untill this year. Fishishing stealhead in a flowing, very flowing river. I broke of ever time with that. Then I switched to P-Line, was not impressed withit as it became stiff and twisted after landing a big fish. I them took a buddies advise and used Maxima. This stuff is awsome. On 10lb. line I thought i was going to pull up the bottom of the river when I got a snag. I run a 20" 7strand home made leader when fishing pike. FYI! Give the maxima a try i use th 10LB and bet I could land any pike with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.