FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: St. Clair  (Read 1872 times)

bronzback

St. Clair
« on: Jun 25, 2004, 09:44 AM »
Anyone been bass fishing on St. Clair?  Going second weekend of July.  Heard its was fairly muddy or stained a couple weeks ago.  Any suggestions or spots to hit would be appreciated.  Went up there two years ago and didn't have a real good experience, going to try and have a better time this year.  Got a hot spots map - went to most of those two years ago.  Fished mainly MI waters, thought about getting a CANADA fishing license this time.  Any suggestions would be great. 

Thanks,
Bronzback ;)

lawnguy

Re: St. Clair
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2004, 12:02 AM »
was out there on sun 7/19, perch were hitting and we had no luck with any bass or eyes.  several locations with the same results.
I love the fishes cause there soooooo delicious, gotta have my fishes

bronzback

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2004, 08:32 AM »
Hey guys,
I did end up going to St. Clair the 9-11 of July, did ok.  Friday was very slow with bright blue skies, caught a keeper here and there on tubes-most green colors.  Saturday was a different story - the bass were on fire - caught a lot of smallmouth, most were under 14 but there were a few nice ones too.  Most of the nice ones were 2-3 pounds.  Partner caught a 4 pound largemouth in the same area we were catching lots of smallies.  Went to some areas and there was nothing, but out in front of Metro is were the fish were biting like crazy.  Find the weeds and you find the fish.  Anywhere we found perch following baits, we caught bass.  We fished 6-13ft. of water, when the clouds were out the jerkbaits did the trick, once the sun came out the tubes where inhaled most of the time before they hit bottom.  We fished right in the boat traffic in front of Metro by the buoys and maybe 50 yards out from them and still caught the residential fish.  Also visisted the Belle R. Hump and limits came from there but the bite was slow.  Dragging tubes got most fish there in 14-17 ft of water.  The earlier you get there the better because as the traffic came the bite got slower.

Trip was good, I couldn't beleive how many perch we caught on jerkbaits and tubes, most were good size too, 12-14in.  Even caught the perch right on a concrete sea wall south of Grosse Pt. Yacht club.  Caught a couple nice large mouth in that area as well. 

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2004, 03:20 PM »
Congrats Bronzback,
Sounds like you had a great trip!!  ;D  Good luck and tight lines on the next trip.

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.