FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: snapping turtles  (Read 8407 times)

jtk2

Re: snapping turtles
« Reply #30 on: Aug 03, 2012, 07:38 PM »
theres a pond i fish alot that has at least a dozen huge snappers. thats mostly where i accidentally catch them. its not uncommon to see 2 25lb+ snappers sunbathing together on the rocks there.
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

loves2fish

« Reply #31 on: Aug 03, 2012, 07:45 PM »
but its in mass though isnt it

jtk2

« Reply #32 on: Aug 03, 2012, 08:08 PM »
yes it is. i find more of them in small bodies of water than large. there may be more in the large bodies but they could be anywhere. try checking weedy places. they like to sit in them here and i usually find them 10 or shallower.
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

loves2fish

« Reply #33 on: Aug 03, 2012, 08:29 PM »
thanks for the tips i know a couple of farm ponds that arent very deep and arent very big but i bet are crawling with turtles. any tips on how to draw them in ?

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #34 on: Aug 03, 2012, 09:30 PM »
You're getting all pumped and psyched to catch a big snapper, but bear in mind, not to be a buzz-kill, one wrong move or mistake when handling one, and you're going to the hospital without that finger, hand, or toe. They are not a docile animal. They will attack. Their jaws are like the jaws of life, and they don't let go. I have seen a snapper break a shovel handle. Be careful.

If I really needed to get a snapper, I'd lean more towards the .22 instead of a fishing pole.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

sprkplug

« Reply #35 on: Aug 03, 2012, 10:03 PM »
When we catch a turtle, we place it in a galvanized horse watering trough for a week. Run about 3-4" of water in it, and change the water daily. Turtles are nasty critters, you want to give them some time to clean themselves out before you butcher them. Be sure the trough, or trash can, or whatever, is in the shade, and do not place it too close to the house.....the sound of turtle claws scraping against galvanized metal all night will drive you nuts.

We also use the water hose in the body cavity trick... (after beheading of course).... it really does make the process easier.

icin_eyes

« Reply #36 on: Aug 04, 2012, 10:09 PM »
My son has been having a blast catching them this summer I set lines. Cut bluegill has worked well. Here are a couple of nice ones.

0Dark30

« Reply #37 on: Aug 07, 2012, 12:38 PM »
When i was in VT north hartland dam had quite a few big snappers as well as deweys pond in quechee and silver lake over in barnard. I dont know where you  are in VT.
Vegetarian= Ancient Indian word for bad fisherman!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.