FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Down-East Rod Holders Have Arrived! Can’t Wait To set Them Up!  (Read 5110 times)

CF

Re: Down-East Rod Holders
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2021, 01:36 PM »
Vaseline is a bit less sticky and works as well.......
What would you all think about using lanolin? It’s extreme sticky and tough to wash off or remove.

Thanks MUCH for the input and info!

Hopefully NO "clank, splash, @#&k!"
Formerly CLAMFARMER

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2021, 02:09 PM »
And based on a friend's experience, it's best to put them on the boat while standing on dry land.  I was in the bow seat and heard "clank, splash, @#&k!" 8)
e ya same goes for down riggers

CF

« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2021, 02:20 PM »
e ya same goes for down riggers

Make sure your out board is screwed on tight too! Long ago I had one jump off the stern in my hand returning form clamming, at about half throttle. That was a few seconds of fun! Still have that motor!
Formerly CLAMFARMER

joefishmore

« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2021, 04:32 PM »
The little circular thing on the end of the screw part always comes off and is lost.

krispcritter

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2021, 06:08 PM »
A little bit goes a LONG ways. I have used Vaseline too but only coated the first 2 or 3 threads and have not had any problems with mine.
To make small fortune in business, start with a large one.

fish wayniac

« Reply #20 on: Apr 13, 2021, 05:37 AM »
Tried and true! Good rod holders for sure. I started out with the clamp on for my canoe. When I got my boat I bought a base to mount on the boat rail. The holder is now interchangeable for each water craft I choose to use. I originally purchased at Cabelas but I also saw them at Hamilton’s marine .

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #21 on: Apr 13, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Make sure your out board is screwed on tight too! Long ago I had one jump off the stern in my hand returning form clamming, at about half throttle. That was a few seconds of fun! Still have that motor!
The trolling motor I use to power my canoe did that as well while I was powering thru a turn, trying to start circling around a snag I was caught on in the river. Thankfully I was able to kick the neg connector to the battery free so it stopped thrashing around.

swnoel

« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2021, 04:00 PM »
I have a pair of them I bought since the mid 80's... I don't believe they've changed since they were invented!

SilverSides

« Reply #23 on: Apr 14, 2021, 12:34 PM »
Anybody ever seen one made of Brass? A friend bought a camp that came with a bunch of tackle that belonged to the previous owner, who had passed. Most of it was brand new. Included was one or two brand new Brass Downeasters. He wasn't interested in selling them :(

fishlessman

« Reply #24 on: Apr 14, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Anybody ever seen one made of Brass? A friend bought a camp that came with a bunch of tackle that belonged to the previous owner, who had passed. Most of it was brand new. Included was one or two brand new Brass Downeasters. He wasn't interested in selling them :(

i have a fiftieth anniversary that is metallic silver and i think they had a few colors. the black ones discontinued on their site would be the 75th anniversary i believe but could be wrong. the timing is about there

SilverSides

« Reply #25 on: Apr 14, 2021, 01:58 PM »
I will have to see if I can get another look at his. It may be just plated, but I seem to remember it was pretty heavy which led me to believe it was Brass.

swnoel

« Reply #26 on: Apr 15, 2021, 06:32 AM »

Did it look like these? I've seen this color before , I'm not sure if it was a special coating that was put on. You can still get the powder coated salty today, but they're going to be gone soon.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Deluxe-Down-Easter-D-10-Fishing-Rod-Holder-w-Box-Down-East-Sportscraft/184750890703?hash=item2b0402decf:g:Z6MAAOSwjYtgbQVn

SilverSides

« Reply #27 on: Apr 15, 2021, 09:22 AM »
Did it look like these? I've seen this color before , I'm not sure if it was a special coating that was put on. You can still get the powder coated salty today, but they're going to be gone soon.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Deluxe-Down-Easter-D-10-Fishing-Rod-Holder-w-Box-Down-East-Sportscraft/184750890703?hash=item2b0402decf:g:Z6MAAOSwjYtgbQVn
Not at all......the one's I'm talking about were very yellow/brass colored.

fishlessman

« Reply #28 on: Apr 15, 2021, 10:32 AM »
Not at all......the one's I'm talking about were very yellow/brass colored.

brass ages dark, especially out in the weather, mostly brown to brown/red

woodchip1

« Reply #29 on: Apr 15, 2021, 06:51 PM »
The rod holder that had the braket break looked like cast metal,not Brass. if they were Brass the price would be much higher.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.