MFF US Northeast > Connecticut

Pike Stocking 2017

<< < (2/2)

lowaccord66:
Don't get me wrong I love fish and like to do my best to keep the sport sustainable and spend significant time in CT chasing pike.  However, no need to sound the alarm on a fishery that exists because of the CT's efforts. 

PikeKing23:
d**n lowaccord!  Right as usual, lol.  I got in touch with the CTDEEP pike biologist and I stand corrected.  I was not aware of the fast paced growth rate of local pike.  However, the point I am making is that the state is stocking fewer pike and a 36" (12lbs) pike will produce almost twice as many eggs as a 28" (6lbs) pike (11,000 eggs per pound).  Let's keep them around and let the "big girls" spawn. 

SHaRPS:
LMAO - that was funny PikeKing.

I feel lesson 2 coming, survival rate.

Also for thought- If you let all of the big girls go (36") and agree that it is better for pike eaters to keep the smaller (28") fish, eventually you kill off the entire population except for the fish under 28" which will just be kept when they reach 28". Big girl dies in 2-3 years and nothing to replace her....

Again, I do not eat pike nor do i fish for them much but i think a mixed bag for people that do works best to keep each year with different aged pike. I do agree that a larger fish produces more eggs but a smaller fish will produce just as many eggs when said size is reached.

lowaccord66:

--- Quote from: PikeKing23 on Apr 23, 2018, 01:17 PM ---d**n lowaccord!  Right as usual, lol.  I got in touch with the CTDEEP pike biologist and I stand corrected.  I was not aware of the fast paced growth rate of local pike.  However, the point I am making is that the state is stocking fewer pike and a 36" (12lbs) pike will produce almost twice as many eggs as a 28" (6lbs) pike (11,000 eggs per pound).  Let's keep them around and let the "big girls" spawn.

--- End quote ---

LMAO...I dont get paid to be right but figured it was worth correcting.  Some people may eat pike.  I haven't.  I don't think anyone in CT should feel bad about keeping one if they choose. 

That said I'm with you about doing what we can to keep the fishery viable.  There are also options for us that are stocked by a water authority rather than the state.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version