FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The US FISH AND WILDLIFE. ENDANGERED SPECIES ACT A THREAT TO ANGLERS.  (Read 2476 times)

Mackdaddy21

The United States fish and wildlife is conducting one of the more appauling violations of our freedoms in the Colorado River basin.
Several species of unwanted fish, a squawfish, a sucker, and a pair of chubs, are endangered on the Colorado River because the massive Hydroelectric dams make the water cold, and block the spawning routes of these fish. The Colorado River's massive volume, third largest of any river in North America besides the Mississippi and Columbia is basically totally drained due to the diversion of the river at the International Border into a pair of gigantic irrigation canals that are larger than even some big rivers. In fact, the All American Canal System has a greater volume of water than the entire Ohio River.
These fish are nearly extinct, and the only way to save them would be to remove all these dams, and to stop diverting water into the canals. But these structures are neccessary to provide us with power, and the water to grow our food in places that do not get any rain. Without them we in the West wouldn't exist.
So knowing that they cannot remove these structures, the tyrannical federal agency, along with the bumbling state angencies in the west has decided to wipe out most gamefish within the Colorado River basin. They claim that this will save them, even when independant science shows they do little harm to what is left of the endangered fish.
Back in the 1960's, the native fish, while declining due to habitat loss, still existed in good numbers in many rivers in the Colorado drainage. The fish and wildlife then proceeded to dump 20,000 gallons of the poison rotenone into 445 miles of the Green and San Juan River basins, to rid the rivers of fish considered garbage by the public. This was to make way fro trout, bass, pike, catfish, and others. This basically wiped out what was left of the endangered fish. However, many other native fish in the river basin are not endangered, though they are very similiar to the ones that are. Due to the fact that harvest of the non endangered natives is banned, they have exploded in many reaches of the river and are more numerous than gamefish. Therefore, they are a bigger reason than gamefish for the further decline of the trashies.
In 1973, a terrible law, a law that has taken away the rights of more people than any other, the well intentioned ENDANGERED SPECIES ACT, was passed. It gave the US Fish and Wildlife the order to help preserve endangered species. Yet it did not give them the power or require them to remove gamefish from rivers, even though they aren't native, to supposedly aid some trashfish no one wants.
Since 1999, they have been removing gamefish populations from many of our rivers. These rivers are some of the best fishing spots you can think of. Due to the poor and idiotic fish management in Colorado and Utah, these areas are the best fisheries.
The Colorado River from Grand Junction to Lake Powell has some of the finest Channel Cat fishing in the West. Catching your fill of 3 - 10 pounders is the norm, and 30 pound fish are fairly common. Below lake powell, in Arizona, the cold, nutrient rich water from Glen Canyon dam provides for a high baitfish population, thus turning this formerly desolate river into one of the better Rainbow Trout fisheries around. Trout even naturally reproduce in these waters, which stay in the 50 degree range, rather than 80 degrees.
Perhaps the crown Jewel of them all is the Yampa River. This is a large, slow moving river that feeds the Green River, and it once supported the best Northern Pike fishery in the state. Now, it supports a unique, special fishery for smallmouth bass. This may be the best smallmouth fishery in the entire west. Scores of 2 - 6 pound, fat, strong smallies populate the river, and bring in much revenue for this economically devastated region.
The northern pike population of the yampa was ruined. While some of the fish were relocated to lakes, many were simply killed and thrown upon the bank . Where we once enjoyed landing 20 or more pike in the 20 - 46" range, catching only a couple pike is a good day.
The channel catfish in the Colorado River were also harmed. Thankfully, they only removed 1200 of them. For a river the size of the Colorado, that is basically nothing.
They are also removing trout below Glen Canyon dam. They want to build a fish ladder on my stretch of the Colorado River to open up more water to the crapfish. Then they might even think of trying to destroy that fabulous trout fishery, one that hasn't been hit that hard by whirling disease unlike many others. All for fish no one wants.
The yampa river smallmouth may be next, unless the public acts. To destroy and slaughter the fishery is an abomination before the consitution.
The thing that is most horrific about this is the public opposition. More than 98% of the public is against this ghastly removal. Virtually none support any efforts to recover the endangered fish. We know that it's fruitless, and that they won't recover unless they take down the dams, which if they did would wipe us off the map.
There is no law that requires them to destroy our fisheries. They have spent $650 million dollars trying to save these fish that we don't want.
It is time we remind them what country this is, AMERICA. They are required to listen and obey the public. They have failed to do so. There has been no vote, and the only process is when they meet in little "committees" that are comprised soley of environmental wackoes, anti fishing groups, and other special interest organizations.
I have a petition currently circulating. Nearly all people want to sign it. I am also preparing court battles, and lobbying congress. We in Colorado and Utah beg for all the support we can get.  If you read this post and think that this is an atrocity against us as well, please don't just read it and leave, please reply. If anyone wants to help, email me at [email protected]. Since this is a federal project, any signature from anywhere in the country is valid.
Just to put the Endangered Species act in perspective, it has only recovered 4 species to date, and a total of 22 have been delisted. Fifteen of these were from extinction. The other three were species that weren't even endangered. The science they use is completely biased, and they forge it in order to recieve greater funding.

Tyler Peck

TroutFishingBear

you know I'm with you, I have already voiced my support before.

TroutFishingBear

I decided to bring back this dead thread so maybe we could get some support. I noticed grumpy moe has one going that is a teeny, teeny bit similar to this one. It involves dead gamefish. (in this case pike and smallmouth) I urge you to voice your support!

grumpymoe

hey TFB....i hope you dont think i am ignoring this post...believe me...between getting things done at the office...and IM anyone on this netting issue thats of concern to both of our countries...i dont have any quality time left at the moment to take on more...when we have made significant progress on LOTW....i will lend a helping hand wherever needed.....grump

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
Same here TFB.  I'd like a chance to review it but if its what you say it is(a needless slaughter or fish for a hopeless cause) count on my signature and support.  Is there any pictures of their antic's.

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

TroutFishingBear

Same here TFB.  I'd like a chance to review it but if its what you say it is(a needless slaughter or fish for a hopeless cause) count on my signature and support.  Is there any pictures of their antic's.

Steve

I'll see if I can find some. In the meantime, I will post an article of their poison: notice that the non native gamefish is a scapegoat for the other factors that mack already stated, and they don't say anything about trout eating the natives, or the overpopulated native roundtail chub eating the fry either.  It's just a double standard.

NEWS RELEASE

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
134 Union Boulevard
Lakewood, Colorado 80228

April 5, 2004

MANAGEMENT OF NORTHERN PIKE AND SMALLMOUTH BASS
REMAINS FOCUS OF RESEARCH IN COLORADO AND UTAH

LAKEWOOD, Colo. ? Management of nonnative northern pike and smallmouth bass remains the focus of research conducted by biologists participating in the Upper Colorado River Endangered Fish Recovery Program (Recovery Program). This is the second year of concerted efforts to reduce the numbers of certain nonnative fish species in rivers to a level where they no longer threaten the survival of the endangered humpback chub, bonytail, Colorado pikeminnow and razorback sucker.

Scientific evidence demonstrates that these nonnative fish species, as well as channel catfish, pose a significant threat to the survival of endangered fish because they prey upon them and compete for food and space. Declines in other native fish species have also been attributed to increasing nonnative fish abundance.

?This research will help identify the level of management required to minimize the threat of nonnative fishes to the endangered fishes to satisfy criteria for recovery of these species,? said Recovery Program Director Robert Muth. ?We will assess the data each year to determine future nonnative fish management actions.?

Efforts will expand from last year to include additional river sections, work crews and removal trips. From April through October, biologists will work in 515 miles of the Colorado, Yampa, Green, and Duschesne rivers in the states of Colorado and Utah. Depending on the river reach, they will target smallmouth bass and/or northern pike for removal and relocation to area fishing ponds wherever appropriate and practical.

Although channel catfish were included in last year?s research effort, capture methods proved inadequate for effective removal. With the exception of Yampa Canyon where effective removal has been demonstrated, channel catfish research has been postponed until sampling efficiency can be improved.
Sampling protocol has been designed to determine if management efforts reduced the numbers of targeted nonnative fishes in sections where they were removed. Monitoring of endangered and other native fishes will determine if numbers of these species increase in response to nonnative fish reductions.

This year?s nonnative fish management effort is the largest known riverine project of its kind. It is a collaborative effort among the Recovery Program, the Colorado Division of Wildlife, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and biologists from Colorado State University.
Earlier this year, Recovery Program partners, which include state and federal agencies, environmental groups and water and power user organizations in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming, adopted a policy that addresses the process of identifying and implementing nonnative fish management actions needed to recover the endangered fish.

?This was a landmark event because it clearly demonstrates that these diverse organizations recognize that management of nonnative fish is essential to achieve and maintain recovery of the endangered fishes,? said U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Mountain-Prairie Regional Director Ralph Morgenweck, who also chairs the Recovery Program?s Implementation Committee. ?The policy also recognizes the dual responsibilities of state and federal fish and wildlife agencies to conserve listed and other native fish species while providing for recreational fishery opportunities.?

Nonnative fish management is only one of several actions the Recovery Program is implementing to recover the endangered fishes. Efforts are also ongoing to provide river flows, restore habitat, construct fish ladders and screens, produce and stock endangered fish and monitor results.
Established in 1988, the Upper Colorado River Endangered Fish Recovery Program is a voluntary, cooperative program whose purpose is to recover the endangered fishes while water development proceeds in accordance with federal and state laws and interstate compacts. For more information, call 303-969-7322, ext. 227 or visit the Recovery Program?s website: coloradoriverrecovery.fws.gov

That is the article, they just won't listen to anglers' input. 99% of the western slope is against the gamefish removals, and on the yampa river, the us fish and wildlife shockers are frequently shot at and their nets are cut.

Mackdaddy21

The people such as director Muth, who are behind this are dishonorable people who care nothing of who or what they harm in the process. Nothing in the law requires them to ruin our fisheries as part of the recovery program. In fact, as the info said, the entire program is STILL VOLUNTARY. As they also said, they carry college students with them and use them to help remove and destroy fisheries. They poison our young people with propoganda and even visit our schools, filling them with slanted information and a glut of spin.
They have always said how "crucial" public opinion and input is to their decisions carrying out gamefish removal. At all the meetings, I have seen hundreds, if not thousands of people, and not a single one of them is in support of it. These people come and pour their hearts out, telling them they are steadfastly against the removal, and these rude FWS officials blow all of them and us off like we are nothing.
It is a fact that exactly 0 species have ever been recovered with the ESA. Only 4 have even been delisted from endangered to threatened. No fish ever listed has ever been aided in basically any way.
Recently, the FWS demanded that a fish ladder to aid passage of endangered and native fish over an irrigation canal diversion dam be constructed. It costed $4.5 million. And now that it is complete, they find it is improperly designed and completely unusable. There goes more of our money down the drain.
The truth is the ESA has accomplished basically no good, and much bad. People have their homes and land taken by the govt. because endangered species like insects and snails might call their land "habitat". This is very common and happens all the time. It is time to rid this land of the plague that is the ESA. It demands all species be recovered, no matter how much it costs, who's livlyhood it effects, and whether or not the public wants the species. It must be repealed. The public still supports it because they do not know it doesn't work. The only way to get this repealed is to educate the public and get the truth out to them. Then it will be a given when they see that it is so blatanly wrong and that it accomplishes nothing but to be the most liberty infringing law since John Adams secured passage of the quickly repealed Alien and Sedition Acts.

Tyler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.