FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A Able Flathead Lake Fishing News  (Read 1265 times)

A Able

A Able Flathead Lake Fishing News
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:34 PM »
A Able Fishing News       www.aablefishing.com

May 2, 2012

Flathead Lake fishing in May is not for the faint of heart!  Weather changes occur rapidly, and along with making it hard to stay warm enough, or cool enough, it makes the fish turn on and off like light switches. 

I have been hearing from many anglers that say they are struggling to even catch a lake trout, and truth be told, I have had a couple of those days myself! When 8 boats turn in 14 fish on a Mack Days Saturday…that’s a major indicator that we all need to re think what we are doing. There are a few things you can do to help increase your chances of success.

Remember, lake trout hate a crashing barometer.  Small changes they tolerate OK, but big swings turn them off, right now.  Stay on the fish, downsize and slow down your offerings  When and if the pressure starts to swing back up, like when the sky clears, then you are there ready for them.

Undoubtedly, when fish are neutral or negative…small offerings, like flies, small spoons, small tubes or hoochies will be your friend.  A small dodger or flasher, even using a large spoon with the hook removed as a flasher is the right way to go.  Watch your scent; don’t give an already disinterested fish any more opportunity to ignore you.

Make your set back from the attractor to the lure a little longer, adding 6-10” can make that lure slow down enough to allow the fish to react without much effort.  If you are using Yakima Bait Company Flatfish lures, consider downsizing to a T4 or U20 size.  And slow it down.  1 mph is about right.  If using hoochies or flies with Gold Star/Silver Horde dodgers and flashers go 0/0 or even 000.

Put it in their face.  Know how far below the downrigger ball your baits swim, and adjust your depth accordingly. They aren’t going to chase it when in these moods.  A 50 KHz transducer gives you the wide angle you need to see your baits and downrigger balls on your sonar, and when tuned right you can track the ball as it drops, then watch that bait settle into its path.  Know where that bait is.

The lake is muddy in May.  The wind is coming from a different direction almost daily, spreading that mud line East-West some day’s and North-South others.  The schools of bait fish, Northern Pike Minnow (squaw fish) and Whitefish are on the move daily, and the Lake Trout (Mackinaw) are too.  Find the clearer water, slow things down, use more muted colors and up your odds considerably.

Book a Flathead Lake Charter with A Able Charters and go fishing for Lake Trout during the month of May and Mom’s fish for FREE! Enjoy a hands on learning experience, treat Mom to a great day on the water and leave the work to us. 

Stephan_K

Re: A Able Flathead Lake Fishing News
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Right on, nice report !  Although you left out just one simple little piece of valuable info.......  The d**n GPS coordinates where the fish are located  ;D  

Heading to the big pond this weekend and hear 260' is the magic depth right now.  Who knows...... maybe we'll hook that $10K tagged fish if he's still around  :o

MTHank

Re: A Able Flathead Lake Fishing News
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Nice report Mike...
Been trying to get out on my days off but the better weather is on the "DAYS I WORK" imagine that.
Last Saturday was too windy/rough to get out at Somers. Plus with a smaller boat I have to be really careful.

Thanks for the report...

Hank

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.