FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Delaware River Herring run?  (Read 7061 times)

5-flags

Delaware River Herring run?
« on: Apr 24, 2007, 01:47 PM »
I am interested in going down to Yardley To fish for herring and hopefully for some striper action. Can someone give me an idea as to when this run starts and when they reach the Yardley area. I will be traveling a few hours and would like some local advice if I can get some. Thanks in advance

Sulk

odriscoll

Re: Delaware River Herring run?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 05:51 PM »
I am interested in going down to Yardley To fish for herring and hopefully for some striper action. Can someone give me an idea as to when this run starts and when they reach the Yardley area. I will be traveling a few hours and would like some local advice if I can get some. Thanks in advance

Sulk

The herring should be thick real soon.

5-flags

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 03:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply,  I saw on another web site that the herring are moving in now and the stripers are right with them!! I will be down on Sunday for a go at it. I will post my results

Sulk

5-flags

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:38 AM »
Here is an update for all on the river. I fished On the 6th, starting in Yardley, Pa. No Herring and no Striper bite. Got a tip from another boater that thr herring were thick in Trenton! Pulled the boat and headed to Trenton and found the Herring to be really in heavy. I saw 4 and 5 on a sabiki rig coming in at one time. I only had gold hooks and my bite was much slower, For every 20 I saw,  I caught 1. getting really frustrated I decide to head to the launch and find some herring rigs! A nice fisherman told me that locally they were all out ,but he would give me one rig. we headed back out and my son tied on the rig and had a ball. From 3:00pm to about 5:15pm he caught over 20 herring and 2 nice shad. Myself and my other son tried the Gold hooks and didn't fair as well. I saw catfish, herring, shad, perch and white perch caught, but no stripers. With all that bait, I could understand.

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 06:23 PM »
I fished about 15 miles up river on Sunday (Bull Island state park) and saw no signs of any herring or stripers and only 1 or 2 shad. Pulled the boat and headed up river to Belvidere and lost 1 shad and got a 5lb cat on a chunk of cut bait.

Just so you know, if you saw 4 or 5 herring at a time coming up then they were using illegal rigs. You are only allowed 3 hooks per rig in NJ. You can however clip the hooks off of 1 or 2 of the sabikis so you still have the extra flash but no hook.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

5-flags

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 11:34 AM »
Well they were illegal then, and the rig that was given to me to use also had 6 hooks on it. I will remember that for the next trip down. I think in about 2 weeks . I ordered some extra rigs as well. Thanks for the heads up on the regs. I hope they are still around and a little farther up river by then.

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 02:49 PM »
I've been tying my own up as of late but its a whole lot easier to just buy em premade. I usually prefer a little bit of a custom rig myself though.

As long as only 3 of the hooks on the rigs still have points/ barbs you are within the law. Almost everyone (atleast that know the regs) just cut the points off to leave a little extra flash.

I think I'll have to try to make another trip on the Big D and head on down that way. Just kinda hard to motivate myself when its a 120+ mile ride and I have the Susky in my backyard which is still fishing good for walleyes.

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

fshnfool

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 02:57 PM »
just made the trip back from Richmond yesterday and where 95 crosses the James, Susquehanna, Potomac and the Delaware there were boats all over the rivers.....whatever they were after must've been producing cause it was loaded.  been hearing good reports on the upper Chesapeake from other sites.

good luck and keep us posted..... :tipup:

5-flags

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Hey Mike, Where on the Susky do you fish for the Eyes? I saw your post on Shanty with some nice fish. I fish a few ramps near me in Exeter, and I have no luck with the eyes in the river. Loads of Bass and Channel Cats, but few eyes. Every now and than I will get one either on the troll or drifting live bait. I told myself I was gonna find them this year and break my walleye jinks. We shall see. I do catch them in the fall in W Nanticoke,  But the launch there is not good for my boat.

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 01:13 PM »
Sent ya a PM 5-flags...I'm by no means an expert on the eyes in the Susky but have been doing fairly well this year as comapred to last year.

kuz

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 02:57 PM »
check www.njfishandwildlife.com. they put up delaware fishing reports. mostly shad reports, but they also report on the herring from time to time.

odriscoll

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 02:56 PM »
d**n! :-[
I could see the herring in Trenton today, but couldn't get one to hit the Kattakuri Rig!

fiddlehead322

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 03:37 PM »
d**n! :-[
I could see the herring in Trenton today, but couldn't get one to hit the Kattakuri Rig!
Try a sabiki rig. They catch everything small.

5-flags

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 09:33 AM »
Herring still inTrenton! They were stacked up there last Sunday. I didn't get in any fishing over this weekend, but will be back down next Sunday to try again. I think it is a bit strange that the shad are alyeady up into the water gap and beyond and the herring are still in Trenton.
Did they already spawn out and are on their way back out, or will they still be moving up river to spawn?

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Me and my brother fished the Water Gap last night for eels, cats and stripers and could hear shad jumping every so often. I don't really remember hearing of the herring coming any further up than Trenton??

Shad are being taken up in Narrowsburg, NY and further north on the river. Hopefully next year I'll actually be able to catch a few as I won't get a chance to make it out the next few weekends.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.