FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: biggest gill  (Read 58583 times)

TimC1086

Re: biggest gill
« Reply #30 on: Sep 02, 2004, 10:41 PM »
Okay forget cancun, for spring break i am coming to visit you tfb, and bringing my bluegill rod.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #31 on: Sep 02, 2004, 10:42 PM »
Okay forget cancun, for spring break i am coming to visit you tfb, and bringing my bluegill rod.
;D wouldn't mind a bit ;)

TimC1086

« Reply #32 on: Sep 02, 2004, 10:42 PM »
i dont actually have a bluegill rod, it was a figure of speech. id like to be able to afford different rods for different occasions. d**n college tuition.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #33 on: Sep 02, 2004, 10:45 PM »
Don't worry I don't have a bluegill rod either. I just use bass lures and streamers and pistol petes for them and catch a lot of them!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #34 on: Sep 02, 2004, 11:17 PM »
Slipbob, TFB is telling the absolute truth about these bluegills. I would have never believed it till I went there. but it's true. I've probably caught 4 gills in this lake over 3 pounds and scores of 2 pounders. The most ridiculous item here, a 1 pound gill is a "baby" for this lake. It's not fished by many people, so the record is never really reported. It's catch and release as well. A tremendous population of 10 - 15" and larger largemouths keep the amount of small gills in check. The larger bluegills bully the bass out of food.
Colorado has some big gills. But it's not widely known. Most fisherman fish for just trout here.

Tyler

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #35 on: Sep 03, 2004, 04:39 PM »
We will def get together and head out there TFB.  Quick question, since it is only C&R, can you take a picture of the fish with a ruler and still get the record or does some park ranger guy have to see and touch it.

There are 2 seperate records in colorado i believe. one is C&R record which gets no recognition, and the other is when the fish is kept which gets the "official"

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #36 on: Sep 03, 2004, 10:30 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot to say I also broke the state record green sunfish again this year at jerry creek this time, where there aren't supposed to be any. But there are a lot. It was about 2 lbs and I caught it on a 4" white senko.

eric, they would do a stable isotope study to determine where it came from and you would receive huge, huge fines and have your fishing privalge revoked.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #37 on: Sep 10, 2004, 11:32 PM »
FYI, here are the state records across the U.S. 

http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=14

Note that the CO record was only 11.5" long and weighed 2 pounds 4 ounces.  In Arizona, a 3 pound 5 oz. gill was only 13".  The world record was 5 pounds 4 ounces caught in a Birmingham, Alabama farm pond on a red worm.  I seem to remember that one being 15" long.  So, it's entirely possible. 

Hey, I'd like to see a pic TFB when you get one of those lunker gills, not because of whether I believe you or not, but rather because I think it would make for an awesome pic.  Also, you should record every measurement that you can so that you can compare to some of the ones in the record books.  Since you have to C&R them, you could at least have a fiberglass mount of one some day that you've caught.  Also, I'm sure that you can have C&R records so you may qualify for one.  Consider it the next time you land one of those brutes.

Maryland's record is 3.5 pounds...man, that is huge in my mind, and it's a lake that I ice fish.  Wow, can you imagine that?  I'll be out there again this winter.  I had a lot of fun out there.

Here's another thing to consider, perhaps these are a different strain, bred for size like these (jeez, check out these jumbos):
http://www.kens-fishfarm.com/world-records/Default.asp

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #38 on: Sep 12, 2004, 12:19 PM »
I have 2 pics of big gills from yesterday that when they are developed I will post them

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #39 on: Sep 12, 2004, 12:27 PM »

Hey, I'd like to see a pic TFB when you get one of those lunker gills, not because of whether I believe you or not, but rather because I think it would make for an awesome pic.  Also, you should record every measurement that you can so that you can compare to some of the ones in the record books.  Since you have to C&R them, you could at least have a fiberglass mount of one some day that you've caught.  Also, I'm sure that you can have C&R records so you may qualify for one.  Consider it the next time you land one of those brutes.

Here's another thing to consider, perhaps these are a different strain, bred for size like these (jeez, check out these jumbos):
http://www.kens-fishfarm.com/world-records/Default.asp

I could've got the catch and release record twice yesterday, with 1 gill 12.25" and 2 lbs 9 oz. ( I have a pic. of this one, luckily my brother was in the area to take my photo) The other was a 12.00" 2lbs 5 oz. (I have a pic, but I am not in it as I was alone)

I might just tell the CDOW so I can get the C&R record once the picture developes. Too bad you weren't there to get to see it eric!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #40 on: Sep 15, 2004, 07:15 AM »
Now that's a big gill FB. What's your biggest Deep Creek gill FB? Does Deep Creek regularly produce the biggies as it was in In Fishermen for best big panfish lakes.

My biggest was about 11" and about a pound.  There are lots of these though and I've seen some that look pretty big.  I don't think that I could get one much bigger through my 6" holes, LOL!  The perch in that lake are big too.  It's fast becoming one of my favorite lakes.  Check out the pics that FishDeepCreek posts on Iceshanty under the MD threads.  You can get an idea of the average size of the panfish there.  Pretty cool.  I'd have ask him how big his biggest gill is and have him weigh in here on this topic. 

TFB, can you ice fish on your big gill lake or is it only open water?  I bet you'd have a blast catching them on ice fishing jigging rods!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #41 on: Sep 15, 2004, 06:53 PM »
Now that's a big gill FB. What's your biggest Deep Creek gill FB? Does Deep Creek regularly produce the biggies as it was in In Fishermen for best big panfish lakes.

TFB, can you ice fish on your big gill lake or is it only open water?  I bet you'd have a blast catching them on ice fishing jigging rods!

It's only open water because ute water, who owns the reservoirs (there are 2 of them) is stupid and thinks that the water would get contaminated. That's the same way on our other city reservoirs too, and one of them we used to catch 3 lb. smallies through the ice and plenty of walleye. I never got one up above about 25" but my brother caught a 10 lber and a 7 lber on consecutive drops on jigging raps. I wish our city would listen to the people and not have their own agenda. We do not, in a city of 110,000, even elect our mayor.

perchfisher

• waitin' for a bite
« Reply #42 on: Sep 15, 2004, 08:07 PM »
i cant wait to see this over 3 pound bluegill.
-cole

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #43 on: Sep 15, 2004, 11:00 PM »
i cant wait to see this over 3 pound bluegill.

genious read I said 2 lb. 9 oz was the latest one I caught, along with a 2 lb. 5 oz. That's pretty good for one trip, is it not? I turned in the film today.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #44 on: Sep 16, 2004, 06:53 AM »
 :o Holy Crap!!! Did I see a big gill yesterday!! :o  My son and I were visiting some friends and this little old lady I know pulls up and asks if we want to see some fish.  Betty, who is about 70 years old, 4'10" and 90lbs. opens her trunk and then her cooler.  After pushing aside several nice bass and 12-14" perch she pulls out this bluegill and my jaw dropped!  I measured it at 12" long, 7 7/8" deep and over 2" thick!  I wish I had a scale to weigh it on because it was big.  I had just used up the film in my camera taking some pictures of turkeys so I asked her to please get a picture before she filleted it.  If she does I will post it.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.