FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Eating Sunnies  (Read 14116 times)

Spikehorn11

Eating Sunnies
« on: May 15, 2007, 07:31 PM »
Do sun fish taste different that Bule gills?

I usually throw back all sunfish because i heard they don't taste as good as blue gills.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Eating Sunnies
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 07:35 PM »
Hmmmm, well, I personally can't imagine they taste too much different. I love to eat em all. Guess there may be some difference, but it isn't too big a deal for me.

Mike

fireplug

• I fish, therefore I lie
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Seems that every time I catch 'gills, I also catch other sunnies.  Haven't noticed any difference in taste, as they all go into the batter, and then the fryer.

mmmmm.... Now, I am getting hungry.   :laugh: :laugh:
Time not spent outdoors is wasted time.....

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 08:22 PM »
I have noticed that Pumpkin Seed sunfish tend to be a bit sweeter, but all sunfish are delectable! ;)

Rock Bass don't taste very good, but I don't think they are considered sunfish. ???

WindKnots

• Tie 'em and fly 'em.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 09:12 PM »
There isn't a difference far as I can tell.  Meat looks and feels the same.  I am HOPING!! to catch a load of bluegills this weekend, my kids devour them when I fillet and pan fry them.

Nothing special, just egg, italian bread crumbs a little grated romano/parmesean cheese and some good extra virgin olive oil- oh and a hot frypan.

Its delicious.  Just delicious. 

I have heard that rock bass are related to sunfish and the book I have says they are a very "tasty" fish.  Never had one, but would assume the colder the water the better.  Had a bass, didn't like it, and I understand they are sunfish related as well.
Run it wide open or not at all.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 09:18 PM »
they taste the same as bluegills as far as I know, especially with some kind of bredding. In addition, if it gives any insight as to how close they are, bluegills and sunfish sometimes cross bread creating a hybrid.

Fishing is life

MIRC!

reelNeYesin

• fishing NYS...........PRICELESS
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:32 AM »
i never knew of any difference
sunnies and bluegill always go in the bucket on the ice and in the spring
as the water warms up like in june you wont catch me fishin for these guys
i notice a greater difference  with the crappies from ice to open water
theres mosquito's on the river.  .   . fish are rising up like birds

panfish lover

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 10:29 AM »
The sunfish(pumpkinseeds) have a firmer more sweet flavor than the bluegills but its not a huge difference both are great, like all panfish, as far as rock bass(and crappies) go catch them early in spring from cold water and clean them when they are alive (meat will get soft when left dead to clean)and they are every bit as good as any other panfish  good luck!!! Joe Richardson Phoenix NY

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:47 AM »
The Sunfish meat from Sunnies in Michigan is usually a yellow color, and a bit firmer than Gills, but tastes the same but a bit sweeter. Rockies are too sacred to eat, and taste like pond water anyway. JMO
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

joejv4

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 12:58 PM »
Once they're filleted, I can't tell them apart.  Never noticed any difference.
The important thing to remember is they are both "PAN"fish, meaning they belong in a pan :)

mmmmmmmmmmm!

now I'm getting hungry!
Gone fishin'

cnypanfisher

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 07:29 AM »
Sunfish, Crappies, Bluegills. Eat them all. Like joej said, they all look the same in the fry daddy. We had a family gathering last year, + I cooked a load of bluegills and sunnys + crappies(mixed bag) left over from ice fishing. These fish were in the freezer 6 months, I told everyone they were perch and nobody noticed the difference. They just said they were the best d**n perch they had ever eaten. :)

cnypanfisher

fishshack

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 07:50 AM »
Sunfish filets taste AWEFUL. Send them to me and I will get rid of them for you ;D

reelNeYesin

• fishing NYS...........PRICELESS
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 08:01 AM »
i dont care if you fish for 1yr i dont care if you fish for 300yrs nobody not even biologists
 can tell the difference between a sunny or gill after they are all grilled up
cookem the same way there are no reason to sit and complain
BOY THESE FISH ARE BITTER,NOPE JUST MUST BE YOUR PREFERENCE ;D
i guess all them hybrids just throw them back because they are bitter and not as firm as..........bla .....bla......bla
theres mosquito's on the river.  .   . fish are rising up like birds

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 08:48 AM »
i dont care if you fish for 1yr i dont care if you fish for 300yrs nobody not even biologists
 can tell the difference between a sunny or gill after they are all grilled up
cookem the same way there are no reason to sit and complain
BOY THESE FISH ARE BITTER,NOPE JUST MUST BE YOUR PREFERENCE ;D
i guess all them hybrids just throw them back because they are bitter and not as firm as..........bla .....bla......bla

Experience can be priceless! Especially when it comes to paradigmatic thinking like this. To each his own. I a person can tell a difference, more power to them, and Kudos to them for noticing subtle differences. If you are not detail oriented, and don't care, kudos to you too!
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 09:25 PM »
There is definately a differance between Crappies and Sunfish. The crappies are mushier, lighter, and whiter than the sunfish. The wife definately prefers crappies over sunfish, but that is my wife being picky, she inhales both. ;D

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.