FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flies For Bluegills  (Read 19818 times)

Mackdaddy21

Flies For Bluegills
« on: Aug 19, 2005, 08:29 PM »
How many of you use flies, such as cricket and hopper dries, pistol petes, and other assorted bugs for bluegills? They seem to be the best bait for numbers of big gills in my local lake that has all the monsters in it.
In the evening, it seems these bulls will take a fly every cast.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Flies For Bluegills
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2005, 08:47 PM »
i love sliders for gills, they just kill'em, along with the occasional largemouth ;D

Lobes

• A.K.A. - Naked Beer Guy
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2007, 01:00 PM »
Gills hit the same patterns as trout. Slow, steady retrieves have worked pretty consistenetly for me. You will get into plenty of perch on wets also.

reelNeYesin

• fishing NYS...........PRICELESS
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2007, 04:14 PM »
use flies alot depending where i go, couple of my favorite panfish spots i use a fly on my casting ultra lite st croix and boy what fun it is to catch bulls on lite gear the best part about it is no bait required
theres mosquito's on the river.  .   . fish are rising up like birds

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2007, 05:37 PM »
I use flies for gills as well, both on a fly rod and casting bubbles....so far I have found that the pattern has not been as important as the size and bright colours...reds, yellows and light blues have worked great for me

reelNeYesin

• fishing NYS...........PRICELESS
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2007, 10:55 AM »
i had some flies my grandfather gave me( looked like he never used them)and just thought to try them knowing there were nice trout and panfish in the area,ended up catchin a limit of fatty gills and some nice crappie wouldnt even know the pattern just know they like anything small and redish brown
the flies he gave me were small but had bigger wings and long tail i clipped the wings smaller and the tail right off and this worked great
does anyone know what this fly may have been called?
theres mosquito's on the river.  .   . fish are rising up like birds

TrekJeff

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2007, 01:54 AM »
got a pic?  That could be alot of things.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2007, 04:39 PM »
Foam spiders are my favorites for bluegill.
But watch out for that bass ;D

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mr.Gills

« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2007, 01:27 PM »
I prefer to use a blck gnat fly tipped with a beemoth.

troutaddict33

« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2008, 08:22 PM »
I'll resurrect this thread i guess... I went today and gills would hit almost any color or size. the only problem was keeping them hooked. Also, out of maybe 25 that i caught in a short period of time only 2 or 3 were keeper size. Any suggestions on flies for bigger gills or should i just keep trying different spots? I;m clueless when it comes to these guys ; today was my first day ever targeting them.

bigfoot697

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2008, 03:43 AM »
when you find gills spawning, usually the larger gills will be out deeper spawning then the smaller gills. the majority of times, the larger gills dont let the smaller sunnies into their area to spawn.  try fathead minnows or small grass crabs and use bigger hooks to deter the smaller fish from biting. any silver or green fly should work and once you find the larger gill area, most of your fish will be keepers or eaters. hope this helps.   

Van_Cleaver

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2010, 06:49 PM »
I was working on a job where there was a really shallow farm pond that had both blue gills and bass. I was stripping a bead head wooly bugger, and ended up catching a mess of nice 8-9'' blue gills. Sometime they hit it on the fall, and sometimes pounded it on the strip. Moved some to another location, as I don't eat them when the water is warm. Like most fishing you have to match your fly to the prevailing conditions. Lots of fun on the fly rod.

slipperybob

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2010, 09:52 PM »
A couple of rare situations where windswept insects hitting the water, the fly patterns are just deadly.  I found a spot where there was an insect hatch, and I can see the gills slapping the surface constantly.  Toss any fly pattern and you're pretty much guaranteed a hook up.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2010, 07:27 AM »
I have a few shoreline bass holes that I hit on a regular basis all summer long long, i have started carrying my fly rod on each trip, and if I can hear the gills sucking at the surface, I drop the bass gear and start casting for gills. When they are active there is nothing like it, they come flying in on all angles you can see the wake in the water and they hammer the fly's.

it is a very underrated style of fishing, but im glad because that leaves more room for me

Edm87

« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2010, 05:11 PM »
I would go with a woolly bugger try different colors.  If your fishing ponds with dragon flies try green woolly buggers the fish go nuts for those dragon fly nymphs.  Bluegills are typically willing to eat any offering if you present the fly the correct way they'll bite.  I have a local pond where I get bluegills on 2/0 deer hair poppers during the summer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.