FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mealworms  (Read 2508 times)

red_eyes

Mealworms
« on: May 23, 2004, 09:18 PM »
How many of you use em' for trout, and whats the biggest trout so far you have caught on them?

mines a 4.5 lb brown, and a 7lb rainbow

raleigh

Re: Mealworms
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 10:04 PM »
The only time i use mealworms for trout is through the ice. The bigest one I have caught off of mealworms was a brown about 2 1/2 pounds. During the open water season I try to use flys and lures for the most part, unless the fishing is realy slow than I will switch to bait.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 03:14 PM »
In rivers is the only place I really use bait, then I use a big old fat nightcrawler bounced across the bottom, it will highly outproduce meal worms. Meal worms will work this way, I've caught some in the 3 lb range, but you are better off using nightcrawlers.

archbishop

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:34 AM »
ive only had good success with them through the ice the biggest i caught was a 11" but seen a 18" caught useing them

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2005, 05:24 PM »
Mealworms have a pretty strong and unique scent trail that most all fish will love. A live, wriggling mealie spewing these juices often is extremely enticing to trout. Generally I don't use them cause I have so much sucess on nightcrawlers, but I have found sometimes adding a single mealworm to a hook baited with 1/2 of a crawler will draw more strikes than just a plain worm. But I've only had this happen a couple times.
Mealies are easier to keep than nightcrawlers in warm and very cold weather though. Carry some if you don't have a cooler and are fishing a stream or river in the summer. They do work better than anything except crawlers.

Tyler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.