FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Our Day on the Red  (Read 1901 times)

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
Our Day on the Red
« on: Jul 17, 2004, 10:42 PM »
Well, it started off late, but we launched at St. Vital Park.  We anchored nearby and I don't think all the lines were in the water before our 8 year old daughter had a big fish on, most likely a cat on a light rod with I think 8 lb test.  With some coaching she fought it well.  After it had been going on a while, I tightened the drag just one click and the pickerel rig broke.  She was disappointed, tired, and couldn't stop talking about it....

Shortly thereafter, our 4 year old got tired of fishing and gave me his rod.  A while later I had a big cat on.  Again, on a similar Shimano outfit.  I was able to get it to the surface and we saw it.  Things were pretty excited then.  To gain leverage, I put my reeling hand on the reel - a finger or two must have been on the spool, gave it that extra bit of drag and the cat decided it didn't want to come any closer than 10 feet to the boat and snap went the line  :'( :'(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Oh yeah, these cats were taking like half crawlers on pickerel rigs.  Man.

So I take out my catfish outfit and nothing.  Figures.  After a while we moved, then decided to just go for a bit of a cruise and see Winnipeg from a different angle.

After getting the boat out of the water, the wife whispers to me that we should go to McDonald's for supper and then to the floodway gates.  I convinced her to go home first and switch vehicles so the boat is hooked up for tomorrow.  We get out there...the water is up....the way people were dispersed made it difficult to get us at a decent spot.  Anyway, some folks left, we tried targeting carp, and 4 year old Joseph decided he wanted to fish.  With all the snags, I told Suzanne to put a worm on under a bobber.  A little while later, his bobber goes down and here is the result...

On top of everything else, it is 14.25 inches, so it is an MA.  He's caught up to me and he's only caught one fish.  Anyway, that smile made the day worthwhile.  It was bleeding pretty badly, so it is bait for tomorrow.

So 6 year old Luke decides he wants to get in on the action and shortly has a goldeye of his own...

Of course, being the polite fellow he is, he asks me if I want to keep it for bait for tomorrow and I oblige.

Moments later, Joseph hauls in a small channel cat with his mother's assistance...

So, my goal of getting Joseph his L'il Angler badge is met (once the paperwork goes in, of course). 

All in all, the smiles say it all.  A slow day, but all three kids saw some action.  It was disappointing that Teresa's broke off, but she accepted it.  Mom and Dad didn't land anything by the way...sigh.  I've definitely had worse days.

Derek
http://www.mts.net/~dthille/fishing.html
Derek

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: Our Day on the Red
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2004, 12:21 AM »
Thriller those pictures say it all. You are truly blessed to have such a great family. You will have many more outings like this and I wsh you the best. Your little one reminds me of my daughter when she caught her trophy walleye at the age of three. Today she made me proud again catching a lovely trout. People three times her age around her were skunked. My son well if it is not WWE material forget it. ;D ;D ;D He did try to power slam hs fishing rod ealier but I caught him just in time. ;) ;)
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2004, 04:53 PM »
Being from Ny, i don't see those first fish, but on a recent, mostly nonfishing trip to North Dakota, i got one of these in the Missourri River. It was about 2 feet long, and kinda creeped me out. Can anybody tell me about these Goldeye things? Are they related to the freshwater mooneyes we have in a couple Ny lakes?
Thanks

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2004, 11:23 PM »
The goldeye and mooneye we have here are bony-tongued fishes of the Order Osteoglossiformes, Family Hiodontidae.  They are extremely similar to each other...the way to tell them apart is whether the dorsal fin starts before or behind the anal fin (behind is goldeye).  A two foot long goldeye would be a monster.  Unless it was something different?

Derek
Derek

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2004, 09:23 AM »
No it was one of those, not a mooneye, i dont think... I'll check picture, maybe post it if i can

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.