FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling etiquette  (Read 1963 times)

northrn-duck-assassin

Trolling etiquette
« on: Feb 23, 2020, 09:04 PM »
Is this not learned anymore?! Ppl dont know or believe in mentorship?

Idk, but its ridiculous trolling anymore. Ppl need to learn how.

There is more to trolling, than just going and buying the gear, being told the spot, and going back and forth.

There is an etiquette, if you dont know it, learn it!. Ask questions.

Guys anchoring and casting. Dont spread out and get in the way of the guys trolling. Kick off to the side where the other 10 boats are, get in line with them and anchor up. The fish are stacked on the wall anyways.

Quit complicating things, fishing is supposed to be relaxing. Do it right and everyone gets to catch fish, and catch fish faster!
Work together guys. Ask questions, pay attention, go to seminars.. whatever it takes.

I will leave one hint here right away. Its easier to troll, with the wind on ur back. Better boat control for speed and direction.

"Rant over" maybe...

Tight lines folks!
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

abishop

Re: Trolling etiquette
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:53 AM »
So how many did you lip???

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:33 AM »
My guess is not as many as he could have. I don't troll the big lake but feel your pain and agree with you.

fishcrazy

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:44 AM »
Bit of a cluster yesterday. A little hard to troll with anchored boats in random places but I guess it’s the nature of the beast. Fish were biting a mixture of baits and lots of throw backs   Normal super early stuff. Had a good day great to get out this early

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2020, 11:09 AM »
I'm not a big lake fisherman but have always heard about the early trout and salmon fishing. What are you guys catching now and what are the sizes.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2020, 11:29 AM »
So how many did you lip???

Too many teeth to be lipping them. But we got our 3 limits. And caught plenty more to suffice 2 more guys in the boat if we wanted/needed to.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2020, 11:30 AM »
I'm not a big lake fisherman but have always heard about the early trout and salmon fishing. What are you guys catching now and what are the sizes.

Coho's with an occasional brown or spring king mixed into the program.

Some lakers too if a guy wants to catch one near the bottom, in certain ocations

abishop

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Coho's with an occasional brown or spring king mixed into the program.

Some lakers too if a guy wants to catch one near the bottom, in certain ocations
Good job. I know that you and spooled will always fill the basket. Stay on them.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:43 PM »
Good job. I know that you and spooled will always fill the basket. Stay on them.

Coho themself, 97% of the time are pretty easy to catch in the early spring.

Its the people that make it difficult and stressful.

LundProv

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:02 PM »
Yesterday was indeed a remarkable weather day for late February.  That being said, every Tom, Rick and Harry was out to enjoy the day and catch some coho.  I launched out of Portage around noon and basically stayed near the mouth of the ditch.  Using the spot lock on the minn kota, my 92 yo friend and I zeroed but really enjoyed the day.  My son was with 3 friends in his boat and got 4 limits of cohos and 11 lakers jigging the reef out front.  Trolling etiquette?  Really?  On a great lake?  I suppose it is possible but in reality, I would think, especially around the warm water discharge of Gary light, any one has the right to spot lock or anchor up anywhere.  Back in the day when I used to troll to "capture" that 14" coho and bigger, most of us respectfully at least tried to go the same direction.  It is indeed frustrating when someone comes upon a group that is trolling an area as tight as Gary light and decides to establish their own trolling pattern.  From what I remember, the survival rate of the spring cohos caught and released is really low so please consider getting your 5 and heading home or target another species.  I am not sure what is worse - trolling the wrong direction or catching and releasing above your limit?  Take a deep breath - it is only fishing -- it was a beautiful sunny day in February with Sunday fisherman doing Sunday maneuvers.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:32 PM »
Yesterday was indeed a remarkable weather day for late February.  That being said, every Tom, Rick and Harry was out to enjoy the day and catch some coho.  I launched out of Portage around noon and basically stayed near the mouth of the ditch.  Using the spot lock on the minn kota, my 92 yo friend and I zeroed but really enjoyed the day.  My son was with 3 friends in his boat and got 4 limits of cohos and 11 lakers jigging the reef out front.  Trolling etiquette?  Really?  On a great lake?  I suppose it is possible but in reality, I would think, especially around the warm water discharge of Gary light, any one has the right to spot lock or anchor up anywhere.  Back in the day when I used to troll to "capture" that 14" coho and bigger, most of us respectfully at least tried to go the same direction.  It is indeed frustrating when someone comes upon a group that is trolling an area as tight as Gary light and decides to establish their own trolling pattern.  From what I remember, the survival rate of the spring cohos caught and released is really low so please consider getting your 5 and heading home or target another species.  I am not sure what is worse - trolling the wrong direction or catching and releasing above your limit?  Take a deep breath - it is only fishing -- it was a beautiful sunny day in February with Sunday fisherman doing Sunday maneuvers.

If you are worried about guys shaking fish off at the boat, you should be highly worried about the tournaments held on the lake then.

Yes, im aware guys can troll or anchor just about anywhere they feel. Hence why i said "etiquette". Yes there are "etiquettes" when it comes to fishing. Or as you said. Being respectful. Especially great lakes fishing. I'm sure you would know this, being so many years of experience.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.