FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Not something we see on the lakes in Indiana!  (Read 2725 times)

taxid

Not something we see on the lakes in Indiana!
« on: Jun 19, 2019, 09:12 AM »
Right in front of the cabin on Minnehonk. Popped up near the boat. Probably old hat to you Mainers though.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

gamefisher

Re: Not something we see on the lakes in Indiana!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2019, 09:35 AM »
That's why you aren't catching any trout, far better fishermen than any of us! ;D

stguy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Be careful, you could get arrested for harassing wildlife if the wrong person sees you that close.

Gamefishers right, they have better access to the stocking reports than we do, strange they can't fly but they are always right behind the stocking truck.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2019, 11:41 AM »
Harassing? It popped up near the boat. I took a picture and it was gone on down the lake. The picture is actually zoomed and then blow up so it's not as close as it appears. I guess near is a relative thing. Here's the original picture.

I think I'm going to stick to Minnehonk instead of Flying Pond. Had a difficult time finding the public access on the west side, and all the cottages, lots for sale, and development reminds me of back home. I came out here to get away from that. Looks like over time it will get worse. What a shame. At least you have to be 100 feet from the water. Back home the cottages AND Full-time homes are almost on the water.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stguy

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2019, 12:15 PM »
Harassing? It popped up near the boat. I took a picture and it was gone on down the lake. The picture is actually zoomed and then blow up so it's not as close as it appears. I guess near is a relative thing. Here's the original picture.

I think I'm going to stick to Minnehonk instead of Flying Pond. Had a difficult time finding the public access on the west side, and all the cottages, lots for sale, and development reminds me of back home. I came out here to get away from that. Looks like over time it will get worse. What a shame. At least you have to be 100 feet from the water. Back home the cottages AND Full-time homes are almost on the water.

I was being sarcastic

It's a Maine thing, we have some folks that think the loon should be the national bird and if your within 100 yards of one for whatever reason they'll report you for harassing them.

I was taking pictures of a family of loons that popped up next to my boat last year and had people yelling at me from shore to pack up my gear and get away from them, they actaully threatened to call the game warden on me, said they had pictures of me chasing them at 1.2 miles per hour with 6 lines in the water.

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2019, 12:39 PM »
I was being sarcastic

It's a Maine thing, we have some folks that think the loon should be the national bird and if your within 100 yards of one for whatever reason they'll report you for harassing them.

I was taking pictures of a family of loons that popped up next to my boat last year and had people yelling at me from shore to pack up my gear and get away from them, they actaully threatened to call the game warden on me, said they had pictures of me chasing them at 1.2 miles per hour with 6 lines in the water.

i would have harassed the loonatics on shore with the cameras taking your picture.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2019, 12:52 PM »
i would have harassed the loonatics on shore with the cameras taking your picture.

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2019, 01:06 PM »
I was being sarcastic

That's ridiculous!  On a few of our lakes it's a debate between people that hate swans and love swans. As you probably know the swans are really aggressive and attack anything or anyone near them including small children. Even the geese don't have a chance. Half the lake people wanted them removed and the other half love them. One night the department of natural resources came in and shot them all. And of course one half of the lakers were traumatized and the other half cheering.  :rotflol: You just can't please everyone!

Had a woman pull into my driveway once and exclaim, "Oh my God did you see that Stork take off from your pond!?"  "Umm mam we don't have storks here in the U.S. that was a Great Blue Heron."  If she only knew I had a state and federal permit take out up to 4 a year she'd probably have a stroke! I had one that I winged and was chasing it across the property as cars went by on the highway. I'm sure the local C/0 got at least one call, but he knows I'm legal.

Headed from the dock in Minnehonk I a few minutes. Going to troll sewed on shiner behind a flasher or cowbells  and she if anything hits. Will use a mini downrigger off the kayak with a Chamberlain release for depth control. Had fun with smallmouth this morning with a plastic crayfish on the bottom.

stguy

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2019, 01:41 PM »
The loons are the big reason we have the lead sinker laws.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2019, 03:53 PM »
I read their were once a pair here but now only one. Supposedly the other was found dead and and was lead poisoned.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2019, 07:03 PM »
Turns out there is a pair on Minnehonk nesting. I took this picture from at least 150 yards using zoom on my camera and the blowing it up even more on the computer. Birds were back in a cove and I was nowhere near them. Cabins are surprisingly close with people activity.

I happened to spot them when I was drifting a plastic crayfish jig down the lake. I gave them very wide berth especially since the male seemed to be diving and feeding in the area.

woodchip1

« Reply #11 on: Jun 19, 2019, 08:13 PM »
It sure is a pleasure to awake in morn to their calls and also go to bed at their late calls.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2019, 07:48 AM »
Yes love the eerie beautiful sounds they make! I have them in the beginning of a novel I am writing if it's ever good enough to be published.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2019, 08:13 AM »
My second species of fish on the Maine vacation trip I've never caught before, as we don't have them in Indiana as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it's a Fallfish ((Semotilus corporalis). The first news species here was a redbreasted sunfish. (Lepomis auritus).

Sorry bad picture, but it's tough taking pics in the dark in a kayak! At least for me!

And the fish was quite silvery. For some reason that didn't show in the picture. I guessing due to the flash?

The fish really smacked a jitterbug, and for the size was quite a fighter. (About 12 inches).

jacksmelt

« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2019, 11:15 AM »
they are fun on light tackle. seen some get up to 3-4lbs. if you want total solitude in Maine you have yo head up to Aroostook county. can have the lake to yourself relatively easy.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.