FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bucktail tying  (Read 2986 times)

bigace

bucktail tying
« on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:37 AM »
I do a lot of fluke fishing from shore during the summer and I started tying my own Bucktails last year cause it saves me about 2 bucks a bucktail and I do end up losing a lot of Bucktails and can't keep paying 4-5 for a bucktail. I order the spro jigs on ebay from 1/2 oz to 1 oz paint them myself in powder paint and tie them. I can't find a good thread that doesn't break when securing the hair to the jig. I need something in white that will not bulk up too much but will also be strong. Any suggestions?

flyfish_tfo

Re: bucktail tying
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2015, 02:55 PM »
What are you using for thread now? flymaster 210 denier should work fine, that's what I use on my big flies for pike, bass and saltwater species. You could also use Uni-thread Big Fly Thread, which is equivalent to 400 denier.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2015, 03:28 PM »
Kevlar!
Lays flat, beyond strong. Approximately 210 denier would be good for large jigs like that.
https://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=TH007

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:25 PM »
here is a good site to check out Chris Helm is a very well know deer hair tier.  some of the threads he uses is like gel spun poly or kevlar  just see link... could also spool some fire line crystal on a sewing machine? in some thing like 4,6, or 8 lb test?  can by that cheaper then dyna cord some times...

http://whitetailflytieing.com/thread/

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2015, 06:41 PM »
I have most if not all of the threads described on that link. Been typing for a while. Veevus gel spun and poly are very strong threads but not in comparison to Kevlar. Pricewise , Kevlar will be cheaper to use and produce great results.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2015, 08:10 PM »

rg your correct on it being cheaper. also will it mach his color needed? i think kevlar is naturally a pale yellow  and dyed color like red green orange etc.. etc..  the gsp thread comes in white like he asked for. you can even find a cheap version of it for bead making for like $6-7 for 50 yards but that is up to you if you buy it i don't like it as much...   the fire line is 125 yards so don't forget you get more bang for your buck 375 feet to be exact compared to 125 foot on the dyna cord. which is like $6 a roll to the $18 for 3 times the amount.... for heavier duty stuff if you go with the 8 lb test but you got to spool it on the thread roll your self if you got a sewing machine at home you can spool your old spools your self..  and best part is walmart every ware carries fire line crystal and shipping form stores like cabelas at $8 for S&H you don't have to pay it going to walmarts .  but for sure the kevlar is cheaper i think i paid $1.50  for a roll of jig tying kavlar 50 feet ....i think the 6 pound fire line has all ways work best for spinning deer hair for me smaller then kevlar and work better in my thoughts... 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2015, 04:29 PM »
You're right, Kevlar doesn't come in white. You could give Danville flat waxed nylon a go too. Strong as heck and does come in white. Only a couple bucks for 100 yds.

Rg

zjlooney

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2015, 04:42 PM »
I spend a good portion of my winter tying pike flies that incorporate bucktail or deer hair of some sort.  I use uni big fly and 100 denier gsp.  I can get a little more bite out of the gsp, but it can also cut the hair if you crank on it too much.  I prefer the uni big fly because it gives me plenty of bite but has less bulk than the gsp.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:02 AM »
Love to see some pike flies. Pop over to the NY fly thread and post some pics.

Rg

zjlooney

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:46 AM »
Love to see some pike flies. Pop over to the NY fly thread and post some pics.

Rg

Rg they might kick me out of Wyoming if I went and did something like that!  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2015, 05:15 PM »
We won't tell :whistling:

Rg

gaspumper

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2015, 03:05 PM »
I do a lot of fluke fishing from shore during the summer and I started tying my own Bucktails last year cause it saves me about 2 bucks a bucktail and I do end up losing a lot of Bucktails and can't keep paying 4-5 for a bucktail. I order the spro jigs on ebay from 1/2 oz to 1 oz paint them myself in powder paint and tie them. I can't find a good thread that doesn't break when securing the hair to the jig. I need something in white that will not bulk up too much but will also be strong. Any suggestions?
For the bigger jigs 3/4 oz  and up I use a thread I get from an upholstery place # CSB 69 ,its a nylon thread very strong,the spools have 18,000 yd.Come in black,white,yellow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.