FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: what happened here?  (Read 5419 times)

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
Re: what happened here?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:18 AM »
Wouldnt the bubblers add o2 to the water? Not just keep water open etc...
Like the bubblers in my aquarium keep my fish alive? No photosynthesis in there.

wile.e.1

« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2009, 10:24 AM »
I have 3 ponds on my property and lost koi and perch and sunnies from each one, sadly it seems that the biggest fish were lost. I thought it was a total kill, but on my walk today I found a group of about 10 koi ( 2 big ones 8 sm.) swimming together near the top in the middle of  one of the ponds. Having read this post it confirms what I thought...That it was from low oxygen.  It was strange, during early ice I could catch all kinds of perch and sunfish through the ice, and as winter dragged on it got tougher to find them. Now with the ice gone I found floaters. The only one happy about the dead fish are the coons who have been munching away nightly

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #32 on: Mar 26, 2009, 03:30 PM »
Wouldnt the bubblers add o2 to the water? Not just keep water open etc...
Like the bubblers in my aquarium keep my fish alive? No photosynthesis in there.
yes the bubblers add oxygen to the water, but not like so many people think...Oxygen is added naturally just by the air/water interface by means of diffussion....the bubbles themselves DO NOT ADD oxygen, but rather INCREASE the amount of water to the air interface, therefore increasing more available oxygen. If you have a UV light on your fishtank, photosynthesis IS taking place.
    A Country Boy can Survive!

taxid

« Reply #33 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:43 PM »
yes the bubblers add oxygen to the water, but not like so many people think...Oxygen is added naturally just by the air/water interface by means of diffussion....the bubbles themselves DO NOT ADD oxygen, but rather INCREASE the amount of water to the air interface, therefore increasing more available oxygen. If you have a UV light on your fishtank, photosynthesis IS taking place.

Right on. I wish people would stop calling the bubblers/diffusers aerators as mixers would be more accurate. They basically mix the water column and nullify bottom dead zones. And of course in winter they open up some water for some oxygen interfacing and to allow light in for photosynthesis.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #34 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:48 PM »
... sadly it seems that the biggest fish were lost.

The biggest fish are the first to go.

I averted a disaster in one of my ponds when my D.O. got down to 3.0 mg/l and was headed farther down by cutting a hole in the ice and cranking up a massive surface aerator. It really caught me by surprise as usually if I keep snow of the ice in strips I have no problems. However this year I had heavy snowfall before the ice was safe to get on and I had s a few weeks of deep snow where i couldn't do anything about it.  Next winter it's back to a diffuser in shallow water to keep some ice open.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.