FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2006 Tour de France  (Read 12509 times)

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
2006 Tour de France
« on: Jun 30, 2006, 09:00 PM »
Talk about the sh.. hitting the fan!!!  On the eve of the start of the 2006 Tour, a doping probe in Spain has knocked out a bunch of favorites. A total of nine riders who signed up for the Tour were implicated in the Spanish probe. Included were favorites Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso, Francisco Mancebo, Oscar Sevilla, and Joseba Beloki.
The UCI(cycling's governing body) noted that while the probe implicated the riders, it had not yet established that they had cheated. Nevertheless, Tour organizers pushed for their exclusion and teams agreed, in keeping with their ethical charter that allows riders to be barred from racing while they are under investigation for doping.
I thought that this was going to be the year for Ivan Basso, but not now. I really hope George Hincapie or Floyd Landis(born in Ephrata, PA) can make a strong run for it. 
Even before this implication it was going to be wide open, but now even more so.  It should be a wild 2006 tour. It all starts tomorrow.

Scott, are you planning anything this year like you did last year?
Ken A.

jjf

Re: 2006 Tour de France
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2006, 09:40 PM »
Talk about a scandel.... :nono: I do think that Basso or Vinokorov would have been the front runners. Now I am pulling for Floyd Landis or Hincappie. They both have a ligit shot for the yellow jersey :flag:

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2006, 02:34 PM »
I think Valverde will have a great tour, and Denis Menchov is definately a threat as well for the overall.  I think Leipheimer will be top 3 as gerolsteiner has built their tour team around him. Cadel Evans could have a great tour as well, but Davitamon-Lotto also has McEwen and fast Freddy and those guys will offer little support once the race hits the mountains.  We'll see how George handles the pressure of being a protected rider. Tough day for Hushovd today...looked like he ripped an artery open.... BTW every time Phil Ligget talks about the Liqui-Gas team he pronounces it "leaky gas" and that cracks me up.

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2006, 11:42 AM »
Scratch Valverde off the list........he's done

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Scratch Valverde off the list........he's done

I was surprised to see him go down. He was another favorite that had a chance. It looked like a CSC guy cut him off and made him crash. I think 3 riders  broke collarbones today.
Ken A.

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2006, 10:47 AM »
I just noticed today that there will be no Team Time Trials this year. I wonder why they took that out?  They will have 2 individual time trials.  The last one will be right be on the next to last day.
Ken A.

Left Handed Model

• I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2006, 11:48 AM »
It's been interesting this year to say the least....  Imagine slicing a major artery with a paper big hand...  or losing a stage with 250 feet to go...   but I do have to say these guys are machines..  I takes skill and stamina to do what these guys do....
Mike aka: Lefty, the Yellow Pole Guy..GO TEAM MAINE!!
"Do unto others, as you would have done to you"

Left Handed Model

• I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Go Robbie McGowen.....He's on fire.... 8)
Mike aka: Lefty, the Yellow Pole Guy..GO TEAM MAINE!!
"Do unto others, as you would have done to you"

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Leipheimer's cooked as well....looks like I'm going to have to go with Menchov now...he rode respectably and isn't a noted TTist. The "Big Hink" rode OK too but Landis really put in the ride of his life...bike change and all...  I honestly didn't think he would live up to the hype but he proved me wrong.   Honchar isn't  threat for the overall but T-Mobile had a great day.  Between Klodens ride and Honchars ride, plus the fact that they now have 4 guys in the top 6 including Michael Rogers, who might just surprise a few people in the mountains this year.   Kloden looks to be on form and that guy can climb as well...so I would consider him dangerous if he can find the form he had a couple of years back.

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2006, 02:43 PM »
Looks like Floyd is starting to peak at the right time. Good TT for him today. Hope they can get the mechanical issues worked out before the next TT.  I thought Big George would put in a better time today.  Bobby Julich really took a hard fall today. They say he may have broken his wrist. Well, the mountains are only a few days away. We'll see who the real contenders are starting on stage 10.
Ken A.

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2006, 03:18 PM »
No doubt...alot of guys within a few minutes of one another and hopefully we'll see lots of attacks in the mountains this year.  I don't want to say that the last 7 years were boring, but there are so many guys now who will believe they have a chance and it might open up the racing a bit. 

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Wow. What a ride today by Floyd, Levi, and Menchov. One by one the other contenders dropped. Looks like Discovery is pretty much toast now.  The Amish boy(well, really mennonite) is in Yellow.  Way to go Floyd.

Ken A.

jjf

« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2006, 06:18 PM »
Broken hip & everything. Floyd is a bad a## :bowdown: :flag: :flex:

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2006, 08:15 PM »
Here is a fantastic article from Outside magazine-->  Floyd and the Z-man
I think Scott and Dr. Bob will really enjoy reading it.
Ken A.

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2006, 05:16 PM »
I read the article....man those guys are like Beavis and Butthead....pretty entertaining.  looks like Phonak decided to let the break roll today and now Pereiro has the jersey. He doesn't seem to have the form he had last year, so I don't think Phonak is too worried....they know him well as he rode for Phonak the last few years.  I still think Menchov's got what it takes and hopefully he can ride well in the alps.  The TT the next to last day is VERY technical and it seems like it will suit a guy who can accelerate alot and still keep a rythym.  I'm not sure it's suited very well to Floyd's abilities and his position on the TT bike certainly isn't suited to the course, but we'll just have to see.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.