FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: rifle gap?  (Read 4848 times)

jamiehughes

rifle gap?
« on: May 18, 2004, 08:39 AM »
 ???We were thinking about trying rifle gap reservoir this weekend and i was wondering if any one had any tips or ideas of were we should try and what we should use there for some pike action we have never been there so any info about the bite right now would be appreciated.... ;D

raleigh

Re: rifle gap?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 03:46 PM »
Hey Jamie, I am yet to catch a pike out of Rifle Gap, but I have caught some nice Browns and rainbows. Perch fishing is also good there. Try fishing the west side of the lake about 20 to 30 feet of the rock for trout and walley. Also I have caught some nice trout off the south side of the island.
I read in the paper that they are gonna drain the lake for irigation, and they are gonna leave just enough water in there for the fish to live. The water should start droping in the next couple of months. Any way here are a couple of pics that I took in the begining of May. the first one is a brown that I caught there and the other pic is of the lake.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 09:16 PM »
Rifle gap has a very small population of pike. They aren't a common catch and their are not enough to target specifically, but they do swim in small numbers in Rifle.
Overstocking of Rainbow Trout by the Division Of Wildlife has caused crashes in both the walleye and smallmouth population. The walleyes have been hit particularly hard. Trout are bigger, faster growing, and more aggressive, and outcompete the fish for their food and also the huge plants of trout generally coincide with the spawning and hatching of the walleye and bass. The trout gobble up most of the fry.
Rifle has a self sustaining brown trout population and a few natural rainbows. But it was meant to be a warmwater fishery.
I would love to fish it if their was better warmwater fishing, and the pleasure boaters weren't so numerous and antagonistic.

Tyler

jamiehughes

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 10:24 PM »
thanks for the info guys.  what about harvey gap?

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 11:35 AM »
If you hit harvey gap right, you can get into some serious big pike action. This lake probably has the biggest pike in the state. I caught one there last year that was 30", yet it was probably 9 1/2 lbs. It looked like a bluegill it was so fat ;). The pike there are gigantic, but  usually, they are full because of the over-stocking of rainbow trout. There are also some big bluegills in the lake, and you can catch many around 9". There is also a developing yellow perch population, as well as a crappie population. The largemouth bass in this lake and the smallmouth can also get massive. Four years ago, an idiot caught a 16 1/2 lb. largemouth out of that lake, which would've shattered the record for this state, and 40 others, but he ate it. The pike seem to hang out to the east side of the dam, with the east shoreline near the dam also being very excellent. The pike also like the big cove on the west side of the lake. You will know it when you see it. Also, the point on that cove is very good. Never forget to check out near the waterfall. Last year, there was no cove and that point was about 10 ft. above the water. But harvey gap is probably a lot fuller this year, because last year, there wasn't even rocks where the dam is supposed to be, they were all above water :o. I like the following baits: large, #5 mepps spinners, Large, 1/2 oz daredevils, I also like medium sized spinner baits. For crankbaits, I like a classic bill lewis rattletrap in really shiny colors, but don't forget a few dull colors like baby bass. Start with spinners, get there early in the morning, about an hour before sun up.

If worst comes to worst, you can always go to rifle gap, because the trout there can be nice and the ones at harvey are just small and annoying.

scchase

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 01:17 PM »
Ya I caught a 47" pike outa Harvey Gap throught the ice perhaps 4 years ago. I should have had it weighted cause it was full of eggs for spawning as well. After filleting I had 4 five pound bags of fillets. For catching the big pike in this lake during the summer I would reccomend fishing the coves on the west side with very large lures. I was catching pike in the 20 pound range using lures the size of 5-6 inch crappie a few years back. Also some real nice bluegill in this lake as well as perch that are starting to get some size to em.
Scott

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.