FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout Season 2010  (Read 5102 times)

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
Trout Season 2010
« on: Apr 03, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Getting ready !
Got the bait and lures.
Now to find the spots that are holding fish.
Haven't seen any trout signs.
What say you.
Otis & Capt. Bassman          Bay Striper                         6lb.Larry                           River Rainbow

halfhooked

• anything more would be shopping
Re: Trout Season 2010
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Barbers pond had more fish rising than I have ever seen before must be a may fly hatch going on

BaitWrangler

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2010, 07:37 AM »
The 'Bunc usually always has fish just gotta be patient getting in and theres a lot of people combined on shore and on boat.  Thats my opening day tradition spot.  I land some quick stockies for my grandmother and I'm close enough in the boat to get some good laughs from the other anglers yelling some crazy things - its a unique morning.

Be sure to have your PFD's. I've seen people get tossed 2 years in a row for not having them and I got hasseled, appriopriately so, because one of mine was sort of small.

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2010, 05:24 PM »
I'm close enough in the boat to get some good laughs from the other anglers yelling some crazy things - its a unique morning.

That's what I goof on.
It's like a circus !
Otis & Capt. Bassman          Bay Striper                         6lb.Larry                           River Rainbow

halfhooked

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2010, 11:49 PM »
Have fun with the opening day anglers but please don't discourage them because not only are they a ton of fun to watch they dump a lot of money into the system via licenses tackle and oh yeah beer that goes a long way to help fund the fish management system and did I mention how much fun they are to watch next time we are together remind to tell my 3 fat guys in a boat story

BaitWrangler

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2010, 06:45 AM »
Have fun with the opening day anglers but please don't discourage them because not only are they a ton of fun to watch they dump a lot of money into the system via licenses tackle and oh yeah beer that goes a long way to help fund the fish management system and did I mention how much fun they are to watch next time we are together remind to tell my 3 fat guys in a boat story

I will have to remind you - 3 fat guys in a boat on opening day... its gotta be a good one! I think one of my best had to have been two guys in an aluminum hull taking on water. They jokingly yelled for a bildge pump about a thousand times and bailed water for 15 minutes before they finally realized they weren't even making it 'til 6 o'clock let alone fishing the morning. They took a few casts at about 5:30, caught a 2-3 fish, apologized while they were doing it and left.  Classic.

It does put a lot of money into the system, especially the private parties.  Us MFF and IS guys should come up with some other creative ways to do it as well though.  For example Slacks Pd. in Smithfield use to have an annual "Bluegill Derby" I really think we need to ressurect those in other places.  Not only would it help balance out a target pond, but if you charge an entry fee - advertise the event, donate at least half to charity, have children and adult classes - it could be great time and benefit the fisheries and tackle shop. You don't necessilary have to give cash prizes either.  I'd be willing to not fish to organize fun events as such.

Rhody Lunker

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2010, 01:01 PM »
BW, are you really recommending a "Bluegill Derby"!?

BaitWrangler

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2010, 06:29 AM »
BW, are you really recommending a "Bluegill Derby"!?

Thats what I said. ;) Who else but me would be crazy enough, and care enough about our ecosystems to want to?

Again not as a 'for sport' outing - as a way to remove some of the the population from a target lake/pond.  The fish that would be caught wouldn't be returned.  If you look up Slacks Pd. in "The Book" you will read "In recent years, residents have promoted an annual sunfish derby to help control the sunfish population in the pond."

Being from that area, I've spoken with a few different sources and I've heard the derby was a fun event back them. I think it would be enjoyable and it would make a small difference for the pond.

Speaking of the book. Big news regarding that....... There will be a new book published either late this year or early next year. I will try to get an exact date soon. You figure our buddy Paul, working for the DEM and all would be privy to that info. (And share it with us.)*   :P

Rhody Lunker

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Are we looking at a new book or just a reprint?

BaitWrangler

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Are we looking at a new book or just a reprint?

All new. This book will summarize the work they have supposively done over the previous 10 years.

The book is being made using all of the info collected throughout the years spending part A of their USFWS F-20-R grants. Which is the main federal grant F&W receives (for fisheries management and invesitgations**).  This past grant period (and last too, cough cough) they asked for additional funds within the grant to produce the book.  I obtained copies of every grant the state of RI has received in the last 10 years for essentially everything imaginable from the United States FWS. (A lot of files)  This includes the amount of monies granted, federal, state, and private - the objectives, the benefits, etc.  Who applied for them, their contact info, dates, times, summaries, notes, etc.

To be honest, they are already tardy in they're publishing. They originally started asking for funds for it in 2007.  

Rhody Lunker

« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2010, 07:09 PM »
It's about time they came out with something new and caught up with the times.

The information the RI DEM provides is FAR behind what other states are doing. Can't wait for the new info.

BaitWrangler

« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2010, 07:58 PM »
It's about time they came out with something new and caught up with the times.

The information the RI DEM provides is FAR behind what other states are doing. Can't wait for the new info.

Lets just hope it's not a bluff.  I mean, we haven't seen anything since 1970 something.

Rest assure I will share any information I attain prior to a potential release.

halfhooked

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2010, 11:02 PM »
hay Bait
  you down south in Dixie they call sunfish bream and they have have fish Fry's with bream probably one of the best fish Fry's I ever went to was a bream fry they went out in the morning caught a mess of fish came back to camp scaled beheaded and gutted them rolled them in seasoned meal fry-ed them up with French Fry's and hushpuppys a cold beverage of choice and it's a party

BaitWrangler

« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2010, 07:41 AM »
hay Bait
  you down south in Dixie they call sunfish bream and they have have fish Fry's with bream probably one of the best fish Fry's I ever went to was a bream fry they went out in the morning caught a mess of fish came back to camp scaled beheaded and gutted them rolled them in seasoned meal fry-ed them up with French Fry's and hushpuppys a cold beverage of choice and it's a party

So your saying a Bluegill (aka Bream) derby could not only be fun, good for a fishery, but tasty as well for those who want to take a plunge? (If its done in a place where its deemed safe to consume from.)  That was one of my main concerns, and what I needed to contact one of my older friends about.  That is, what they did with all those fish back then.

I know I don't eat any f/w fish, but I've seen people taking 'gill before to eat.

P.s., one more day for you Trout guys! Where is everyone going if you care to share? Hardly any secrets on opening day I'd think except a few Wood river spots maybe.

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #14 on: Apr 09, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Where is it safe to eat fish from ?
That's the question alright !

I choose water that doesn't allow motor boats.
Does not have many water foul, which create bacteria problems.
Water that is running, deep and clear.

Last but not least, look through the fishes fins up against the light, if there are black dots visible throw it back !   :sick:

I wont even eat stocked fish !
Do you know what they feed them ?
Minced up fish pellets from god knows where, with god knows what's in them.
No thanks.

As for what was done with the blue gills after the derby, they were
put into a truck and hauled off for fertilizer.

I have eaten them before and yes they were tasty ;D

TOMORROW FOSTER STREAMS HERE I COME...........................

Later guy's

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.