FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: "New" State Record!  (Read 5562 times)

BaitWrangler

"New" State Record!
« on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:29 AM »
During a night session yesterday, predicitions made earlier this year that the CAG would in fact break the current RI Carp record this year - came true, already.

Big congrats to my friend Jeff for an amazing 33.8 oz fish and my buddy Nick for the bank.  This fish will not go on official record as it was released after being caught due to the fact that it was pretty late at night and keeping the fish until the morning to get it weighed officially would require its likely death.  Jeff decided his name going on record wasn't worth that. Funny enough when last years new CT record was caught, the angler faced a similar dilemma and had to dump out about $150 worth of premium bait in order to safely transport the fish he caught.

I'd say Jeff deserves a round of applause for not only the record breaking fish, but in addition for the true sportsman he is for releasing the fish instead of holding on to one of the largest fish caught in RI in the last 50 years just for the sake of a piece of paper.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
Re: "New" State Record!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:33 AM »
wow that thing is HUGE  :thumbup_smilie: nice job man ;D ;D ;D

beaver1080

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:35 AM »
holy carp, that is a beast! well done :clapping:

Caddis

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Thats a hog and a half, nice job :thumbup_smilie:

TrophyHunter

• 57.25" lake sturgeon
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Awesome carp Jeff!!  :thumbup_smilie:  I'm not looking for secret bait recipes or anything but I'm wondering what are you guys running as far as rods, reels and line? You guys seem like hardcore carp guys.  8) I've seen carp around home that size and bigger but I'm not sure what equipment to run so I actually have a good chance of landing a beast.

RiverRedneck

• KEEP HIS HEAD UP!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2010, 10:53 AM »
nice work...nasty fish god i hate those

lavaman

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2010, 01:08 PM »
 :bowdown:
THAT'S WHAT IS ALL ABOUT.
IT'S NOT ABOUT GETTING A TROPHY BUT HAVING SOME FUN.
CONGRATS
BTW THANKS FOR GIVING ME AND OTHERS ANOTHER CHANCE TO CATCH IT.

BaitWrangler

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Jeff, as well as most of the CAG guys don't visit this forum.  I'm more of a nomad however. Since you can't get Jeff's answer, I will post a couple of my setups with descriptions. I switch out with a couple other very "light weight" ones occassionally if I know I will be going after strictly fish under 10lbs but they aren't in my main arsenal.  Around here the small runoffs within the BVR are so packed with little Mirrors its crazy. I've mentioned before we have one of the finest Mirror fisheries in the entire county right here in RI with the Blackstone.

Most rods used are salt water rods simply to keep costs down. Although Carp fishing isn't too bad in the bait department since you don't need lures, etc - it is hard as a rock on your equipment budget.  Many, many of the addicts and those who have money (not me) have actual Carp rods thought - which I will explain.

My two setups that  I use the most are an 8 foot schoolie rod with its matching reel, as well as a 12 foot bank rod with a Penn CLL6000 bait runner on it.  The 8 foot rod I use because of its flexibility. You can fish it up close or put a heavier lead on it and get it out farther no problem - it's a solid pole.  The downfall of this reel is that it's a middle of the line reel. I've pulled it all apart and everything is metal but the housing and spool are plastic so it's a means to an end while I am a broke young graduate right now!

The 12 footer is my actual "real setup" and this would be what matches Jeff's outfits for the most part.  Don't be fooled even fish of 10lbs put up great fights on this gear, additionally it's needed to cast heavy lead, up to 4oz or smaller lead with a lot of method (loose bait).  This, like a lot of my gear I snatched up from my father - and being a bank pole is very similar to an actual Carp rod. The reel is what makes the set up though, 95% of Carp fisherman use these reels.  The bait runner has a dual drag system and upon casting you open your bottom drag via the flip lever. You can tighten or loosen it as you please prior or during, but it's strenth is very light - it's essentially the same as having your bail open, except its closed. When a fish takes, after you make a half of a crank on the handle, your main drag system engages (at your previously set strength) and you can begin fighting the fish without ever fiddling during the run. You can just imagine why it works better than simply having an open bail as well.

Purpose made Carp rods are similar to the above and are between 8-12 feet in length.  They are rated in "TC", test curve, which measures how many lbs of weight it takes for the pole to bend to a certain amount that I honestly to don't.  But if anyone out there can afford a nice Carp pole (I can't) get a 2.5tc 10 footer - from what it seems everyone seems to go dead center on their first purchase. As far as reels, I like mine as I got it for a great deal. The most widely used reel however is the Shimano 3500 and 4500's.

Sorry for the long post.

Ps, I will give you secret bait recipes any time you want. And so will 99.9% of us CAG'ers. ;)

ricky riged

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2010, 08:12 PM »
 ;D ;D ;Dthats awsome  ;D ;D ;D

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2010, 08:23 PM »
Buy a saddle for that one and take him for a ride.   :laugh:
Otis & Capt. Bassman          Bay Striper                         6lb.Larry                           River Rainbow

JDiperrio

« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Sweet awesome job Jeff
John

BaitWrangler

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2010, 07:39 AM »
Thanks once again for all the good words guys! I will be sure to pass it all on to Jeff!

That night he landed a 15, 18 and 11 lb cat as well just to complete the story. ;)

BaitWrangler

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Extra pictures....

BaitWrangler

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Once again big congrats to Jeff.  And beautiful Catfish as well!

TrophyHunter

• 57.25" lake sturgeon
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2010, 10:59 AM »
Man those are solid carp!!  8) Thanks for the detailed reply BW!! I'd definatly like to learn as much as I can about targeting huge carp you guys are on em!!  I'm a hardcore trophy channel catfisherman myself I love chasing big channels!!  I don't want to hi jack your thread but if you want to see some of the cats and carp I get up here I could throw a few up. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.